A Little Coop Help.

webdawg

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Kingman, Az
I'm going to start converting my shed to a coop and covered run tomorrow. Coup 10x12 and run 12x12.

The shed will be insulated and drywalled and has two windows, a vent on one wall and a top roof vent. The floor is concrete.

I will be putting 2x4 wire under the chainlink to prevent digging in by coyotes and the same over the top of the run.

I do have a few questions though.

1. What is best to put on the inside floor?

2. Do they need a light on all the time?

3. Has anyone had a fire problem with heat lamps using certain flooring materials?

Thanks!

14.jpg

1. Since the inside floor is concrete, you need something soft for the floor so that when the chickens come down from the roost they won't injure their feet. Sand or shavings would work, but the shavings need to be pretty thick.
2. No, they do not need a light on all the time. However, if you are putting chicks in the coop, they may need a heat lamp for a while depending on their age and the temperature outside (and inside the coop).
3) Yes, there have been reports of fires from heat lamps. However, in most cases the lamps were knocked loose and fell into shavings or they were too close to flammable material. If you secure the lamp well, there should not be a problem. Be sure there is a cage of some sort over the lamp. I made one out of chicken wire and wrapped it around the cross wires on the reflector.

Back
Top Bottom