A Miracle! Our Buff survived 17 days in the Wild!

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
17 Days ago, our Buff ran into the woods and didn't come back. I was heart broken and searched the woods for days with no sign of her. Today, hubby was cutting wood and lo and behold she ran out of the wood pile. She was skinny, covered in dirt and poop, but otherwise unhurt.

I brought her into the house, gave her a bath and put her into an extra large dog crate in the basement with some antibiotics and a soft bed so I could observe her for a few days. Her vent looks a little raw and puffy. She ate and ate and ate and drank a ton but hasn't pooped yet. After a week or so, I will move her crate into the coop so she can be introduced to the other girls without being pecked. She's been through enough.

I've never heard of a chicken surviving that long in the wild - I'm not sure if she was in the wood pile the whole time or in the woods and just went into the wood recently. Either way, we are simply astounded.

What a wonderful, amazing story! I know many of us have lost a chicken and dreamed of a miracle happening just as you describe! That it actually happened is one for the record books!

I have an Andalusian that lived with a flock of wild turkeys for six months, even through a Colorado winter.

Her people sort of neglected her flock and she was the only survivor of two attacks so she ran away from home preferring to take her chances with the 'Turks.

Now, she's the first chicken in the coop at night and the last one out in the morning. She loves her nice stable home.

Glad your's found her way back.

Mary

Thats awesome! Once We were gone and forgot to feed our roo for over a week during 18 degree weather. He was outside by himself and we were sure he was dead... Went out snd found him roosting in the corner with a tiny bit of frost bite.. That boy amazes me!

Last edited:
Fantastic!
big_smile.png
Is it possible she went broody out there - had a nest?

It certainly is possible. She went broody last August and hatched 7 chicks. 2 survived and are part of our flock now. Before she "flew the coop" she hadn't laid an egg for at least two weeks, though we thought this was because the other hens picked on her so badly. She had a good night in our cozy basement and pooped quite a bit this morning. Most of her poop looks like that sandy broody poop, but she also had completely normal poop too. If she did go broody, it wouldn't make a difference - we culled our Roo a few months ago for over aggression and egg eating. No more fertile eggs. She's clucking happily in her crate this morning but I think she wants to get outside. No dice! She's staying put for a while.

Last edited:
It certainly is possible.  She went broody last August and hatched 7 chicks.  2 survived and are part of our flock now.  Before she "flew the coop" she hadn't laid an egg for at least two weeks, though we thought this was because the other hens picked on her so badly. She had a good night in our cozy basement and pooped quite a bit this morning.  Most of her poop looks like that sandy broody poop, but she also had completely normal poop too.  If she did go broody, it wouldn't make a difference - we culled our Roo a few months ago for over aggression and egg eating.  No more fertile eggs.  She's clucking happily in her crate this morning but I think she wants to get outside.  No dice!  She's staying put for a while.
Glad she's alright. :) Yep, keep her close for awhile. ;)

Back
Top Bottom