A new chicken?

Kaelinstorm

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Lampasas
Im thinking of getting a new chicken. Im really thinking about a Silkie but I dont know anyone close who has them. Id really like a white one I think. Ive never owned one and Im wanted to know what those of you who have a silkie can tell me about owning one? I really want a pet chicken that lets me cuddle and love it but is still ok with sleeping in the coop with the other girls at night
smile.png
Im also open to other breeds. I have to admit I really like striking looking birds too so Im not real interested in ones like Barred Rocks, Red Products., etc that look like just a normal ol' chicken. I want one with style! But I really want a sweet lovey side. Id really like one that lays a fair amount of eggs, if thats possible 3/wk is cool.

Any advice and pictures of your lovelies would be nice! Thanks!

I have a 4 Silkie chicks and 3 I got from a Swap and 1 I found on Craigslist. If your not big with show quality and just want a nice pet, look on Craigslist..
Also Silkie's are VERY sweet!! I have a 1 week old right now that everytime I pick her up she falls asleep in my hand and she LOVES riding on my sholder on car rides!!
Plus they make AWESOME broodies!!

269105_139002622846426_100002100667846_280416_454051_n.jpg

270266_139002679513087_100002100667846_280417_1680526_n.jpg

Are they still sweet if they spend alot of time with the other chickens? I know my others spend so much time together they dont really want much to do with me until feeding time
sad.png

Well if you want a lap bird then you hit the nail on the head! Silkies are very friendly and easy to work with and a quite docile. I have even heard of people using them in therapy especially with children with disabilities. They are quite a hardy breed, but keep in mind that they soak up water like a sponge! The hens good broody very easily and will hatch out anything you throw under them, large or bantam chickens, ducks, guineas, even peafowl! Defiantly a breed I recommend to anyone who is a beginner or just wants a great pet!
Cochins I hear are also amazing birds, but I have never raised them. And they come in Standard and bantam, even frizzled. And there are sooo many color variations. White, Black, Red, blue, mottled, barred, crele, cuckoo, partridge to name a few. I personally adore the Lemon and Lavender cuckoo cochins my self, but I just can't get my hands on them!

Heres another question... should I get it really young? I wanted to get it where I at least know its a girl. I already have a rooster in my yard XD I really want it to love me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom