A new Hobby Soap making Love it

I have no experience with plastic molds except the tupperware type that I put in freezer to prevent gel and I don't have to spray it at all.
Goats milk will be good in soap but may be tricky adding to lye. I would try the regular tryed and true recipe that we all have been using and then go from there. You can take a lye discount which probably has already been done with the recipe we are discussing.

Hi! If you'll read here: Soapmakers Help
it's been discussed.
That thread is where I learned to make goat-milk soap (and I only make GM soap).
Read it --- lots recipes, tips, techniques, and sources.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Lisa-

I am currently on post 551. It is slow going, but I am determined!

Julie and Joy gorgeous soap.

Joy, I love the way your boxes look. How do they fit with the freezer paper?

Julie- The cheapest stick blender Walmart had was $25. I will try Walgreens. I was distracted and didn't even look at the scales.
roll.png
I did get rubber gloves tho.
smile.png

Molds should be fine to spray with that. Just becareful to not be heavy handed because the mineral oil can build up and in my experience discolor the soap.

Thanks for GM link

I ordered a stick blender from brambleberry for $5 but it is way less powerful looking now that I've seen what is being used in the videos. Good thing I have a real stick blender at home in case that one isn't enough

Try looking in thrift stores or garage sales for stick blenders. You can often find one for a few bucks.

I've used silicone muffin trays for molds. Since the molds are "rubbery" , set it on a cookie sheet to move it around.

Never Never, NEVER use aluminum trays for soap making. Aluminum can pit or melt when lye touches it.

For an abrasive to add to your soaps like gardeners blend or like the old fashioned Lava soap, you can purchase fine ground sand used in cigarette butt ashtrays. I bought a bag at Ace hardware and a little goes a loooonnnnng way.

A coffee grinder is great for grinding Oatmeal for an additive. I use mine for dried herbs as well. For orange peal, I slice off the orange skin in thin slivers, dry several days and then grind up in the coffee grinder. You can sift this to keep the particles uniform.

Those of you interested in making a goat's milk (or cow's milk) soap, I have a couple of inexpensive books to recommend. They are basic, but go into enough depth to be super helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Natura...r_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302620023&sr=8-2#_

http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Based-So...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302620023&sr=8-1

I also have this book and it is great if you want to use herbs to make soaps:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Soap-...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302620023&sr=8-3

Any newbies wanting to know how to make soap should check out Millersoaps.com It is very comprehensive. Also the other soap maker thread has a ton of answers to newbie questions. I know it is really long, but start at the begining and on page 2 there is talk about supplies needed to get started. There is a ton of info in the early parts of that thread.

Back
Top Bottom