A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Thanks
smile.png

I've had some ugly batches along the years but I don't get pictures of those, lol.

Bought a small rosemary plant today. An official start to my "soaping garden" When infusing olive oil with rosemary for say.... a 5lb batch, how much fresh would you use? Also would you infuse more than one herb at a time inthe oil or do separate batches for each herb??

It depends on a lot of things. I always infuse in Olive oil. Depending on what I want from the infused oil, I use anywhere from 10-100% infused oil. What do you want from the infused oil? If you are going for scent, I would use it 100% of your Olive oil because it will take a lot to get any kind of scent.

Here is how I infuse. I fill my crock pot with my herb and then I pour the oil over and heat it on low for several hours. Then I transfer to mason jars and let sit till I am ready to use, anywhere from a week to months later. I have infused Lavender, yellow dock root, dragon's blood resin, sandalwood, annatto, calendula, comfrey, nettle, paprika, and arnica.

ETA: If you want to infuse several herbs at once, go ahead. It wont hurt it all.

Last edited:
Cool link, Kassandra. Those are beautiful soaps-unbelievable colors on some of them. Definitely bookmarked that one. Have you made any soap yet?

Morgaine and Julie, thanks for the info. My husband did pick up the palm oil at HEB. I know the quality won't be quite as good as palm oil that I will get online, but I figure it's a start. Once I get the hang of it, I'll definitely get better oils. I'm hoping to make a batch this weekend, so I may be picking your brains.
wink.png

No!!! I ordered everything the same day. My oils got here 3? Days ago, but I haven't gotten scents, lye, colors, or Shea butter. ...... So I patiently wait and soak up soapy knowledge in the meantime!

Quote:
You are not going to get much if any scent through infusion. But 60oz is around 1500 grams, so I would do atleast a 8oz of rosemary for the infustion. I usually on infuse for the color soap or the properties for balms, not for scent.

I think it is a must also that you use DRIED herbs so that you don't get mold and stuff.

Here is a link http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldprocesssoapmaking/ht/htoilinfusion.htm

Back
Top Bottom