A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Depends on whether you use very nice oils or Lard. Of course you can buy cheap soap at the store but if you ever use some good homemade soap you just won't be able to go back to the stuff you get at the store, or least I feel that way. I think mine comes out to about a 1 dollar a bar if I use F.O. and colors and Shea butter and the extras.

Hello!
smile.png

I just started making homemade soap a few weeks ago. Just wanted to pass on some info. to you incase you are looking for ingredients locally....and want to save $$

I have had great luck at my local Indian Food stores in regards to buying pomace olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil as well as essential oils and herbs.

When i made my 1st batch of soap, i bought everything at my local health food store and spent a lot of money on the oils (i was to impatient to wait for mail order supplies)... cost comparison
Coconut oil 14 oz at healthfood store $9.99
Coconut oil at Indian food store $3.99 for 16 oz!
enjoy!

here's a photo of a batch i made on Saturday-Castile Soap with ground up Oatmeal and Lavender - I used 2 Pringles containers for molds - got 28 rounds of soap out of this batch!

37262_castile_soap.jpg

Quote:
Beautiful round bars you have there! I must start eating chips more often so I can have some Pringle's cans!

I made some bars using a bit of beet juice in the lye water and they came out the most wonderful yellow (added beet juice while lye was still hot- hence it changed from red to yellow). I understand that the results of using something like that are unpredictable at times but I plan on doing it again. I love the color.

Quote:
Lovely soap but you will get yellow spots from the lye if you store them on the metal shelves. Should be ok if you put down some freezer paper or paper bags.

oh! good to know...i will put some down as soon as i get home. thanks!

I've been on byc for 3 yrs now and just found this!!! wonderful!! I've been wanting to make my own soap for quite some time now! I'm going to have to go back to the beginning and read all the way thru this thread! Love the different soaps I've seen on here. thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom