A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Well, if for some reason you don't like making soap, that just means you can try stuff like solid lotion bars, scrubs, balms, lip balm, body butters or a lot of other goodies you can make to use up the ingredients, lol.

If you have any questions on tuesday, feel free to ask!

Happy Soaping!

How can i test the soap weeks later to make sure it is ready and safe to use? I made a recipe with shortening and other oils and it said to cure 2-3 weeks and today is the 3rd week. Would like to test to see if its ready.

Lick it. If it zaps like a battery, it's lye heavy. If it is just soapy, it's good to use
smile.png

Well, I'm using my Lavender Oatmeal soap-the very first one that I made. It's been 3 weeks plus. I love the oatmeal in it, and it lathers very well. But it doesn't have much of a lavendar scent. If I'm not mistaken, the bottle of EO that I used was only .7 oz. Just how much oil do you guys use in your recipes. This particular recipe made 16 bars that are around 5-6 ounces each. Love the soap, but need more scent!

Oh, and does fragrance oil have a stronger scent than essential oils?

Last edited:
Hi-I want to buy a wooden loaf soap mold that is adjustable to make from 2-3 lbs up to 4-5 lbs of soap. Does anyone know where I can find one like that? I think the ends are adjustable in or out depending on the size of the batch of soap. Thought I saw some somewhere but can't find it now!

Last edited:
I think what you want is a reagular log mold that has a dam. I'm not sure who has one that I would reccomend, but I know I have seen them too.

Quote:
Done, tastes like soap
smile.png
good to go!

Thanks!

here's a photo of my soap -green tea, cucumber, honey, oatmeal (after the 1st celebratory hand washing) this batch was made with a can of Crisco, etc.
smile.png
now i need to learn how to color and swirl
smile.png

37262_soap.jpg

hippichick - I believe that EOs don't carry scents as well as FOs do. IMO, I think the lavender EO isn't really worth the extra money because of the scent issue. That said, I have had people tell me that when you use actual lavender buds in the soap it smells wonderful. The buds turn brown, but still give off a scent.

I wanted to share a few pics of some I did the other night. One is of 2 Sage and Cinnamon logs, uncut, and the other is a Poison Ivy bar. I infused olive oil with jewel weed and then added some oatmeal and calamine. I get poison ivy every year so I'm excited to see how this works!

sagecinn6.jpg

poisonivybar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom