A new Hobby Soap making Love it

This is the recipe I used.

Castor Oil – 1.5 oz
Coconut Oil – 19 oz
Olive Oil – 30 oz
Palm Oil – 14 oz.

Lye - 9.5 oz
Water – 20.5 oz.

I added my lavender EO and ground up oatmeal at trace. The brand of EO is Wyndmere. It says on the label 'pure essential oil". I LOVE the soap. The smell is oatmealy with a just a hint of lavender. It lathers up really well, and feels awesome on the skin. I'd just like more of a lavender scent. Now I did make a lavender chamomile a few days ago using this same recipe, but this time I infused the olive oil with lavender and chamomile-separately. Then used half and half of each for my olive oil in the recipe. Also added shea butter, dried buttermilk, and some ground up lavender and chamomile. I also added a little lavender eo. I'm hoping the infusion holds the scent better. This is Joy's recipe, but she uses a Neroli eo. I like lavender, so I thought I'd try it. I know she won't mind me posting it. She posted it at the beginning of this thread. It smells awesome, and I can't wait for it to cure so that I can use it.

I'd like to try a lemongrass next. Any opinions on lemongrass?

Julie, I've already given soaps as gifts-for Mother's Day. lol I did tell them though, that they're my guinea pigs. These were my first 2 batches-Lavender and also Eucalyptus. So far, I haven't heard any complaints. lol

Hmm, I'm not familar with that brand of eo. You got it at the health food store? I order mine online. I like Essential oil university or Antolian Treasures best.

The kid goat mold is really cute and holds about 4# of soap, but the only problem with it is the fine writing that says Goat Milk Soap and the kid's head. Soap always sticks inside there so I end up with a few bars that I keep for personal use. Rubbing the inside down with olive oil (or some oil from your batch before you add the lye) does help, but you can't use too much and can't really get into those little areas. It works, though.

The log molds I got here. Very very nice to work with - I actually got the log molds from the Rum Bin for really cheap! They don't require liners at all - you just wipe the inside and corners with oil (either olive or a mix from your base oils) and then pour in your soap. I don't insulate my soaps so they either sit on the counter in the open air or in the fridge, though I believe these molds can withstand the oven process as they are made for melt and pour.

She did mention that you may wish to support the mold either by nesting 2 molds together or by nesting the mold in something the same size. I use my wood mold and cutter as the nesting place since I don't really use those any more (I HATE lining molds!).

The next day the log usually falls right out. If it doesn't, I put it in the freezer for an hour or two and voila. The top is about 1/4" larger than the bottom - she said that's because they designed the mold so the soap would fall out better than with veritcle sides. No one has complained that my soaps aren't perfect rectangles, so for me it's no big deal.

I think I have a picture of some soap in the molds...let me see....

swirlsv.jpg

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the soaps I've made so far. These are my first 3 batches. The first two are lavender oatmeal and eucalyptus oatmeal. The second pic is my lavender chamomile. They're nothing fancy, but I just love the natural look of them. I do want to try some coloring techniques, though. Everyone's colorful soaps are just beautiful.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

Glenolam, those molds really sound like they work well. I especially like the not having to line them. I'll be ordering some of those. Thanks for the link.

Thanks, Kass. And I know what you mean. I feel the need too. lol I was going to make a batch today, but it didn't happen. I wish I had nothing else to do, darnit. Next week, definitely. I need to order some essential oils first anyway. Need some good scents...

Those look great Paula.

thanks Glen. You soap colors are really pretty.

I just cut my Chamomille and made a small batch of Himalyan Bamboo. I will take pics when I cut it tomorrow. The Bamboo has a grasy clean smell.

Here is my Bamboo soap
001-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

I thought the color turned out well

Here is some Chamomille

003-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom