A new Hobby Soap making Love it

Actually, there is food grade lye. It is used to process olives and to give a nice shine on bagels & pretzels, among other food uses.

I buy mine 40 lb at a time from Boyer Corporation. Even with shipping the lye is less than $2.50/lb

Check the plumbing section of your big box store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc). Make sure the container says 100% sodium hydroxide (or 100% lye).

Quote:
WOW, food grade lye! Maybe that's why olives are an acquired taste. (took me forever to like them.) LOL

Thanks for the link to the inexpensive lye. I'm always trying to improve my cost of production without sacrificing quality and this is just the ticket.

Love your soap site, BTW. It's very informative.

Quote:
So are you saying that the 100% Sodium Hydroxide at Lowes is food grade? Not that I would use it on food!
big_smile.png

Okay. I just wanted to make sure. I get mine at lowes, here. I didn't know there was any diff, food grade and non-food. I just thought lye was lye. Kinda makes you wonder though when they use it in and on food! I know they probably have a different process, but still, yuk! Thanks again for great info!

BYW, I'm just a little excited!! I gave my SIL some of my soap, and she loved it!
woot.gif
She said I should market it! Not sure I will, but its nice to know she thinks its good enough to.
smile.png

Last edited:
It's horrible threads like this that have had me making soap the last couple days. Little batches and nothing I wish to show off but still at it. Love BYC!

Back
Top Bottom