A new run!

Chickenlover2017

Songster
May 24, 2017
Ok so my run is fairly small for six growing chickens so if you guys are good at drawing I would love if you would like give me a small idea on what a new run should look like the drawing does not need to be complicated I am not a drawer so yea thanks for the help here is a pic of the coop and the run right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 45
Ok so my run is fairly small for six growing chickens so if you guys are good at drawing I would love if you would like give me a small idea on what a new run should look like the drawing does not need to be complicated I am not a drawer so yea thanks for the help here is a pic of the coop and the run right now
How big can you go for run size? For that many chickens you need at least 60 square feet. 80--100 would be best if you want healthy chickens.

I'd recommend t-posts and welded wire fencing. Pretty self explanatory to put up. A t-post driver will save you arm strain if you can get one.

Uh...I am not much of an artist myself,especially regarding building plans. The internet is a good place to get ideas though. My coop currently is a cattle lean-to that my family converted and attached a walk-in square wire run around two sides of it for the chickens to go in and out as they please but without predators being able to get at them easily.

Also, people will find your post and comment sooner or later. ^_^ No need to go around messaging people asking for help. Some of us specialize better in plans and building coops/runs, others in medical issues of poultry, and some are just learning as they go. Given it's a weekday, many people are working, so just give it some time and I'm sure someone can help you better than I can. :)

Also, people will find your post and comment sooner or later. ^_^ No need to go around messaging people asking for help. Some of us specialize better in plans and building coops/runs, others in medical issues of poultry, and some are just learning as they go. Given it's a weekday, many people are working, so just give it some time and I'm sure someone can help you better than I can. :)
X2....

Hi @Chickenlover2017, I'd be glad to offer some help!
8-10 sq feet per chicken in the run. That anywhere from 48-60 sq feet of run space. I would suggest a rectangle, I use an 8 by 3 sq ft run for my chicks and mama hen (who is a bantam) that is a rectangle and I really love it. Cover in hardware cloth, not chicken wire, which predators can easily rip through. You could do a triangular one like you have now, but I think that would be too narrow, but it would probably save some money (if you decide to build one) because you would only have to cover the sides in hardware cloth and not the top.
Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Are you planning on leaving the coop where it is? Will the run be attached to the coop or will it enclose the coop?
We made a walk-in run and I love it. I spend time with my six girls, sitting on a log and shooting the breeze. Chicken therapy. I would miss that if I had to watch them from outside a run. Love when they jump into my lap and purr!
Sorry, no written plans. Hubby does quick pencil sketches and figures a lot of things out in his head. Measures and laser levels everything nicely but no detailed drawings.
I'm sure many will chime in here with great ideas for you.
This is our run right now---200 square feet. I count the space under the coop---they spend a lot of time there and it definitely is part of the square footage
8-5-2017 (30).jpg

Are you planning on leaving the coop where it is? Will the run be attached to the coop or will it enclose the coop?
We made a walk-in run and I love it. I spend time with my six girls, sitting on a log and shooting the breeze. Chicken therapy. I would miss that if I had to watch them from outside a run. Love when they jump into my lap and purr!
Sorry, no written plans. Hubby does quick pencil sketches and figures a lot of things out in his head. Measures and laser levels everything nicely but no detailed drawings.
This is our run right now---200 square feet. I count the space under the coop---they spend a lot of time there and it definitely is part of the square footage
View attachment 1111692
How cute I LOVE it!

I am planning on keeping it next to the coop if possible and leaving the coop where it's at
View attachment 1111692

Do you plan on letting them free range any? If so you can cut down a tad on the run size.

Back
Top Bottom