A store-bought coop in a 5x10 run

Silkie Mike

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2023
20230922_162603.jpg

I bought a coop at the local bargain outlet for $150. I put some locust posts up to make a 5x10 rectangle. Going to trade in the 3 foot fence for 5 foot fence tomorrow.
They are just peeps so they are I just took they out to the coop for a couple hours, today. Otherwise, they are still inside under the lamp.
My posts are 10 feet high because I was thinking of making the fence 10 feet high to dissuade hawks and bald eagles.
Any tips?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230919_093415.jpg
    20230919_093415.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 6
Any tips?
That coop will be great for chicks.....now start building a much larger one for when they grow up.

My posts are 10 feet high because I was thinking of making the fence 10 feet high to dissuade hawks and bald eagles.
A 10' fence will not dissuade flying predators much.
Will there be a mesh roof on it too?
What kind of mesh/fencing?

That coop will be great for chicks.....now start building a much larger one for when they grow up.

A 10' fence will not dissuade flying predators much.
Will there be a mesh roof on it too?
What kind of mesh/fencing?
I was just using chicken wire.

View attachment 3642712
I bought a coop at the local bargain outlet for $150. I put some locust posts up to make a 5x10 rectangle. Going to trade in the 3 foot fence for 5 foot fence tomorrow.
They are just peeps so they are I just took they out to the coop for a couple hours, today. Otherwise, they are still inside under the lamp.
Any tips?
Thanks
View attachment 3642712
Any tips?
Thanks
You might get away with it. A lot depends on what predators you have in the area and how deep you've sunk those posts.
Ideally, for that style, you want the coop and attached run about in the middle of the large run. Assuming you shut in the chickens at night and close the small run up as well. By having the coop about in the middle any predator has two lines of defense to overcome; the large run fence and then the coop itself. Often people site the coop on the large run fenceline so they can get at the egg boxes easily. Don't do that.

I dare say some will suggest hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. To make harware cloth effective for the style you have gone for it needs to be tight from post to post. With chicken wire, it's better to leave it as floppy so that it feels unstable for anything that considers trying to climb it.
You will still need a dug in skirt to prevent diffing predators and hardware cloth as the skirt would be what I would go for.

You might get away with it. A lot depends on what predators you have in the area and how deep you've sunk those posts.
Ideally, for that style, you want the coop and attached run about in the middle of the large run. Assuming you shut in the chickens at night and close the small run up as well. By having the coop about in the middle any predator has two lines of defense to overcome; the large run fence and then the coop itself. Often people site the coop on the large run fenceline so they can get at the egg boxes easily. Don't do that.

I dare say some will suggest hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. To make harware cloth effective for the style you have gone for it needs to be tight from post to post. With chicken wire, it's better to leave it as floppy so that it feels unstable for anything that considers trying to climb it.
You will still need a dug in skirt to prevent diffing predators and hardware cloth as the skirt would be what I would go for.
I just put the posts in 2 feet. It isn't permanent. .
I shoot a lot of predators and varmints. I'm going to get a dog soon to help keep unwanted animals away.
I was just going to move them into the barn next year when they get older. I have a bunch of old nesting boxes in an old 20x30 chicken coop I am going to tear down, eventually.
I will have to see based on their characteristics. I know they are more needy than other breeds ... I might raise them and sell them to get a more practical breed. But i think silkies will be so much fun for my daughters.

Back
Top Bottom