A sure-fire cure to all respiratory illness in chickens

To clarify-sadly, I too, understand that there are things we just can't fix as much as would like.
I also, absolutely agree with this method as the most humane way of dealing with the things we can't fix and we've had to use it here-for a severely malformed chick and one rooster that just wouldn't adjust his attitude.
I just wouldn't want someone to be shocked at this thread as a newcomer to the board or to chickens-despite it's unquestionable truth.

I agree that the wording , or title, needs to be changed. Remember, there are children who are members of this forum. While the "cure" may be the best option, a gentler delivery would have been better. IMO, of course.

I agree with the last two. I'm a realist but even I was misled by the title. I was hoping for words of wisdom.
I can't imagine a vet bill for a chicken. The way I was raised, there wouldn't even be a vet bill for a dog. At least not a very big bill.
I take very good care of my chickens - but I never name them and they don't sit on my lap.

I agree that the message title was poorly worded.
I actually have a dove with a chronic sneezing problem and thought maybe
I had stumbled on some good old-timey treatment for chickens that might apply to him..
My dove has not infected the other cage birds in my house so is not contagious.
There are kinder ways to deliver an uncomfortable truth.

Think kind thoughts
Speak kind words
Do kind deeds.

I was not misled by the title - but I have been around chickens for most of my life.

It is harsh...............but no harsher than person "A" with a flock that once "had a cold and was cured" who then sells or gives a chicken to an unsuspecting person "B"- now the illness has spread and "B" has to deal with a sick flock (or sells hatching eggs that carry some virus). That is harsh and cruel in my opinion.

Last edited:
Since several folks made reference to the title being misleading, in truth, it is not. Euthanizing the bird is the only sure-fire cure for respiratory illness. Reality can be harsh, and if you are going to raise chickens, that is something you'll have to deal with, sad and heartwrenching as it is at times. I adore my birds, every one has a name and knows it, too. They are exactly like a dog would be to other folks, but name or not, I would have to cull if respiratory disease ever reared its ugly head here.

It is harsh...............but no harsher than person "A" with a flock that once "had a cold and was cured" who then sells or gives a chicken to an unsuspecting person "B"- now the illness has spread and "B" has to deal with a sick flock (or sells hatching eggs that carry some virus). That is harsh and cruel in my opinion.

Agree 100%.​

Quote:
HorseFeatherz I am one of those folks that have to be hit between the eyes with a 2x4 and your post accomplished that for me.
Point taken-I concur.

Quote:
Harsh to one person is simply reality to another. I'm sorry if you were turned off by the OP's way to get his message across, but in the industry of raising chickens for meat and eggs (either food or hatching), it is absolutely necissary.

No it is not a 'cure' for a bird infected with a respiratory illness but it is the ONLY cure for the entire flock or other birds, as respiratory illness in poultry is contagious and can never be cured once it infects a bird.

I have had to put down 80% of a 50 bird flock because of respiratory illness that was introduced into my family's flock by a bird that was dumped while we were on vacation once. That was not fun at all, I cried as I had to dispose of some of my favorite birds, but it was a necissary evil to keep not only my own birds that did not test positive or show symptoms of illness but my neighbors birds as well.

I can not in good conscience keep a carrier bird in my flock if I was going to ever sell birds or eggs. Anything less than culling infected and respiratory sick birds is irresponsible in my personal opinion.

However if you only have chickens as pets and can keep those birds on your property for the duration of their life and you can make sure you do not carry the disease to other places or properties, then by all means keep your pets.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom