PLEASE HELP,I have a case of possible aspiration of oral antibiotics!

Mystical mutt

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 24, 2018
PLEASE I NEED HELP!..oh so geeze the wheeze tonight whilst giving my hen Franny(she weighs about 1.6 lbs) her liquid oral meds,I think she may have possibly aspirated some of them but really not sure,it was 0.3 mls but if she did aspirate it was most likely only part of that dose (seeing as the syringe got stuck up on itself part way through administering it) and I did read this in two crows article about administering a lemon spice mixture to treat doughy crop,for which I did with my other hen momma and it worked really well but my point of bringing it up is due to the info of the amount given/aspiration and such "suck up .3 to .4ml at a time and squirt down the throat, under the tongue, HEAD LEVEL. Never give more than .4ml at a time or you can aspirate the bird, having it go down the wrong pipe. (occasionally they do aspirate if you aren't keeping the head level or used too much liquids. If only .3ml went down into the air ways, they will not die. Just let them cough it out over the next hour and be careful next time you are syringing in water.)"so maybe even if I did it will be fine?!..I also followed the instructions on a common thread here on BYC for safely administering oral liquid meds to a chicken,I put the syringe in the right side of her beak,I saw the glottis and do believe i put the syringe up and over it (very hard to see in there with a tiny beak/syringe taking up most of visual space)and then pushed just a bit farther back in her throat then started to slowly administer the meds but the syringe got stuck part way and shot some of the meds into her throat alot quicker than I would have liked,I pulled the syringe out quickly and let go of her head and upon doing that she maybe gasped a lil bit,opened mouth breathed and did a lil forward head movement,kinda almost like lunging it forward a bit with an open beak and kinda sat there with it open for a few seconds but that was it,she didn't cough/sputter,shake her head from side to side,or have any of the meds bubbling out of her beak like I had happen with Mr rooster once.makes me wonder if the meds just shot back in her throat too quickly shocking her and maybe the forward head movement was just her clearing it and swallowing?she does seem sensitive to the syringe,anytime it touches her throat she reacts it seems.I should mention that it doesn't take much to get her breathing heavy/labored right now,just grabbing her out of her crate does it so upon taking her out to give her meds she was already open beak/labored breathing but didn't seem as bad as last night.also she doesnt always breath this way, it seems to happen mostly in times of stress,like when I'm handling her or her and momma start sparing and such.my friend that was holding her for me said he didn't hear or feel any changes in her breathing from before or after the meds were administered so that makes me feel like I most likely didnt get it in there cause I feel her breathing probably would have changed if she had just gotten liquid in her lungs right?!sry I'm kinda freaking out,this is very scary,I hate giving oral liquid meds for this exact reason,sometimes you can be doing everything right and accidents happen.any hoo so after a min we put her down and she seemed to be acting fine so put her in her nightime crate and left her for about 20mins,came back and she seemed fine,I picked her up and heard just a slight pop in her back/ chest but it was faint and not super consistent,so I put her back in crate,then after 15 or so more mins she started breathing a bit more labored with just a slightly open mouthed beak and a bit of wheezing at times(which the wheezing has kinda come and gone through her respiratory illness,just started officially treating her with the antibiotics last night) ,I heard a bit of the popping here and there.then after a lil while like maybe a half hour or so she seemed fine again,no open beak breathing or wheezing and such,was still breathing a tad bit heavy but she also has a bacterial respiratory infection for which I'm treating with Baytril(I've read this can also treat aspiration pneumonia,curious if anyone know's anything about that?)then after a lil bit she stopped and I wasn't hearing the popping or atleast not as much if not at all?it's hard though cause I hadn't listened to her breathing prior to her getting the respiratory illness from my other hen momma and haven't listened to it since so I really don't have a good comparison for if this slight popping is unusual for her or not?I've read that some popping and such can be there air sacs just naturally doing there thing since they have so many but not sure if that's correct or not?!)i've read that it's very obvious when a chicken aspirates,that they do basically what I described Mr rooster did but she didn't do that just the unusual kinda gasp/forward head movement with an open beak and kinda sat there with it open for a few seconds then I started to massage her chest and she closed her beak but then opened it again after I think but yet again she was open beak/labored breathing from the moment I took her out of her crate before the meds and such..any help is very much appreciated,thank you so much in advance❣️
20230118_154842.jpg

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Your wall of text is extremely hard to decipher, sad to say.

From what I can gather is your hen possibly aspirated some meds.
If she did, then there's not a lot you can do. Let her cough and carry on and see how it goes.

The article, photos and video below may be helpful to you when you need to give more medications.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

PLEASE I NEED HELP!..oh so geeze the wheeze tonight whilst giving my hen Franny(she weighs about 1.6 lbs) her liquid oral meds,I think she may have possibly aspirated some of them but really not sure,it was 0.3 mls but if she did aspirate it was most likely only part of that dose (seeing as the syringe got stuck up on itself part way through administering it) and I did read this in two crows article about administering a lemon spice mixture to treat doughy crop,for which I did with my other hen momma and it worked really well but my point of bringing it up is due to the info of the amount given/aspiration and such "suck up .3 to .4ml at a time and squirt down the throat, under the tongue, HEAD LEVEL. Never give more than .4ml at a time or you can aspirate the bird, having it go down the wrong pipe. (occasionally they do aspirate if you aren't keeping the head level or used too much liquids. If only .3ml went down into the air ways, they will not die. Just let them cough it out over the next hour and be careful next time you are syringing in water.)"so maybe even if I did it will be fine?!..I also followed the instructions on a common thread here on BYC for safely administering oral liquid meds to a chicken,I put the syringe in the right side of her beak,I saw the glottis and do believe i put the syringe up and over it (very hard to see in there with a tiny beak/syringe taking up most of visual space)and then pushed just a bit farther back in her throat then started to slowly administer the meds but the syringe got stuck part way and shot some of the meds into her throat alot quicker than I would have liked,I pulled the syringe out quickly and let go of her head and upon doing that she maybe gasped a lil bit,opened mouth breathed and did a lil forward head movement,kinda almost like lunging it forward a bit with an open beak and kinda sat there with it open for a few seconds but that was it,she didn't cough/sputter,shake her head from side to side,or have any of the meds bubbling out of her beak like I had happen with Mr rooster once.makes me wonder if the meds just shot back in her throat too quickly shocking her and maybe the forward head movement was just her clearing it and swallowing?she does seem sensitive to the syringe,anytime it touches her throat she reacts it seems.I should mention that it doesn't take much to get her breathing heavy/labored right now,just grabbing her out of her crate does it so upon taking her out to give her meds she was already open beak/labored breathing but didn't seem as bad as last night.also she doesnt always breath this way, it seems to happen mostly in times of stress,like when I'm handling her or her and momma start sparing and such.my friend that was holding her for me said he didn't hear or feel any changes in her breathing from before or after the meds were administered so that makes me feel like I most likely didnt get it in there cause I feel her breathing probably would have changed if she had just gotten liquid in her lungs right?!sry I'm kinda freaking out,this is very scary,I hate giving oral liquid meds for this exact reason,sometimes you can be doing everything right and accidents happen.any hoo so after a min we put her down and she seemed to be acting fine so put her in her nightime crate and left her for about 20mins,came back and she seemed fine,I picked her up and heard just a slight pop in her back/ chest but it was faint and not super consistent,so I put her back in crate,then after 15 or so more mins she started breathing a bit more labored with just a slightly open mouthed beak and a bit of wheezing at times(which the wheezing has kinda come and gone through her respiratory illness,just started officially treating her with the antibiotics last night) ,I heard a bit of the popping here and there.then after a lil while like maybe a half hour or so she seemed fine again,no open beak breathing or wheezing and such,was still breathing a tad bit heavy but she also has a bacterial respiratory infection for which I'm treating with Baytril(I've read this can also treat aspiration pneumonia,curious if anyone know's anything about that?)then after a lil bit she stopped and I wasn't hearing the popping or atleast not as much if not at all?it's hard though cause I hadn't listened to her breathing prior to her getting the respiratory illness from my other hen momma and haven't listened to it since so I really don't have a good comparison for if this slight popping is unusual for her or not?I've read that some popping and such can be there air sacs just naturally doing there thing since they have so many but not sure if that's correct or not?!)i've read that it's very obvious when a chicken aspirates,that they do basically what I described Mr rooster did but she didn't do that just the unusual kinda gasp/forward head movement with an open beak and kinda sat there with it open for a few seconds then I started to massage her chest and she closed her beak but then opened it again after I think but yet again she was open beak/labored breathing from the moment I took her out of her crate before the meds and such..any help is very much appreciated,thank you so much in advance❣️
How’d she do?

Back
Top Bottom