Aspirated 8 week old chick while giving oral liquid meds for wry neck šŸ˜­

SilkieMom20

Hatching
Jul 30, 2023
Silkie chick was doing better after two weeks of ongoing wry neck treatments and felt strong enough to vehemently resist receiving oral liquid meds. Oral meds definitely went down trachea. She coughed/sneezed at first, but is wheezing, and has labored breathing tonight. How can I best help her recover? Too scared to give her the meds for wry neck now and donā€™t know how to treat fluid in lungs. Help please and thank you in advance to anyone who answers this plea for direction and advice. Been through a lot with this little one over the past two weeks and donā€™t want to lose her,

Sorry about your chick. The link above is good if using a 1 ml syringe. When giving liquid meds, just give a drop or two at a time. If giving a softgel vitamin E, just pop it into the beak and they will swallow. I would still give the meds if they are helping. Not much can be done about aspiration, but she should get better eventually. How much did you give her when it happened?

It was a 3 ml syringe and by the sound of her wheezing last night, I am starting to wonder if ever swallowed any of it. She had started shaking it off her beak and was not eating or drinking any of the food I tried to put it in so I had found a video on how to give it straight to her on the right side - but now I wonder if she breathed most of it and I was not doing it correctly. šŸ˜¢. I gave her a nebulizer treatment last night very lightly with albuterol. And also tried to do a mini steam treatment to help calm her lungs. She made it through the night but is still wheezing this morning - breathing is not as labored as last night either. No poultry vets in my area so I am doing whatever I can for her. Some blogs say to use Vetrx and steam treatment? Anyone know anything about that? She has made it 24 hours but I have no idea if poultry cell will evaporate from her lungs in time. So scared for her. She is drinking a little but not really wanting to eat. Any further insight or info is appreciated - huge thanks to all.

Attachments

• BE37EA19-47F1-4F1C-A530-A0FCD99F3495.jpeg
    BE37EA19-47F1-4F1C-A530-A0FCD99F3495.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom