Lump on side of neck of 7 week old chick. Wry neck or something else?

cariboo

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
BC Cariboo
I have a 7 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg chick that I noticed has an odd lump on its neck. It doesn’t look like wry neck to me, but maybe someone with more exerience knows better? The lump is on the side of its neck and I originally thought was an injured wing, but looks like a pink fleshy lump with visible veins up close. Pics and video attached of what it looks like.

It’s the only SSH I have, so I’m not sure if it is smaller or thinner than it should be. It’s definitely the smallest of the mixed breed batch of chicks I got at the same time.

It’s only been noticeable for a day or two and no other birds have the same symptoms. No other signs of trauma, still flapping its wings, but not flying up to roost on top of things in the chick run like the rest of the chicks (5 others, all 7-8 weeks old), which I assumed was because it’s the smallest in the chick flock. It’s eating (23% starter crumble) and drinking normally. No treatment at this point as I don’t know what’s going on.

6 chicks are currently living in a ~15x6’ run adjacent to the older chickens during the day, and in a medium dog crate within the coop at night.

Attachments

• CEA2FAB0-D4B9-48A1-A5F2-CBA02E688464.jpeg
    CEA2FAB0-D4B9-48A1-A5F2-CBA02E688464.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 64
Possibly the crop?
It seems like it up too high and to the side for the crop, definitely in the mid-neck area vs lower on the neck/.chest where I’d expect the crop to be.

My partner wanted me to add that he thought the lump seemed to disappear into the neck area when it straightened its neck - he had a better view of that than I did last night.

More on the soft and squishy side

My partner wanted me to add that he thought the lump seemed to disappear into the neck area when it straightened its neck - he had a better view of that than I did last night.
I'd re-check it since he thinks it "disappeared" when the chick straightened up.
You'll want to examine her for bruising or anything that feel like air under the skin.

The crop is on the right side of the breast, so unlikely it's the crop.

I'd re-check it since he thinks it "disappeared" when the chick straightened up.
You'll want to examine her for bruising or anything that feel like air under the skin.

The crop is on the right side of the breast, so unlikely it's the crop.
Thanks for the reply - I’ll check again today and see if I can get a better look. It’s racing around with the other chicks like normal, so it’s not affecting it too much (yet at least).

Back
Top Bottom