A Thread About Trees

Quote: I definitely need to get this treated this year-- THe fruit is sweet and juicy right off the tree. I really need to tackle this problem. Thank you for the links-----
brown rot fungus is my vote too now that I have read each disease thru. Time to get the pruning done is now. THough the tree is already open. WIll make a point of removing all the fruit that falls on the ground-- in years past I just leave the rotten fruit for the birds. NOt this year as it will help prevent this rot.

We have way too many trees: had to define a place out of the forest to develop our house. However, I'd love to bring in a fluff dozer and eliminate 90% of the current crazy trees and plants on my property in support of growing an assortment of delicious landscape designs plants.

marc by marc jacobs | seven jeans
We are well populated with trees as well, however I need many for shade and firewood. I looked at integrating growing trees and forages, together. IT's all about opening up the canopy and letting in adequate sunlight; Basically thinning the existing trees. ANd planting fruit trees , shrubs and forages. For a total makeover!!

I mentioned starting mulberries using pruned branches. He was actually enthusiastic. THough I have tried planting 2 starts in the past and whoops, they really do need full sunlight to get established.

I mentioned starting mulberries using pruned branches. He was actually enthusiastic. THough I have tried planting 2 starts in the past and whoops, they really do need full sunlight to get established.

I have tried this method but no luck. Layering works good. Seeds are easy as they grow easily from fresh fruit. No treatments needed.

Good to know. I"m sure the cuttings require rootone; one method was to pull branch doen and pin into ground. Not an option as the grounds keepers mow under the tree. I will do both :plant a trimming or 6 and collect fruit in the summer. whoot.

Grafting works if you want a exact copy. YouTube has grafting videos. All you would need is a seedling mulberry for a rootstock. Easily found in most places.

Howdy again all. It's been kind of crazy around here so I haven't been as active on the thread as I would like to be. Everything is going well with my little trees. The plums would really like to be outside, but there is still a freeze danger so no dice for them. The little mulberrry has a sibling that popped up about a week ago and I need to separate them. And the cottonwoods and the red oak are outside just waiting for the weather to stay consistent so they can green up.

I have tried this method but no luck. Layering works good. Seeds are easy as they grow easily from fresh fruit. No treatments needed.

I read that mulberry seeds need a 60 to 100 day stratification (http://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-mulberry-trees-24620.html). I started mine inside the house during the winter, so I left them in the refrigerator for 90 days before I planted them and that seemed to work out pretty well.

Howdy again all. It's been kind of crazy around here so I haven't been as active on the thread as I would like to be. Everything is going well with my little trees. The plums would really like to be outside, but there is still a freeze danger so no dice for them. The little mulberrry has a sibling that popped up about a week ago and I need to separate them. And the cottonwoods and the red oak are outside just waiting for the weather to stay consistent so they can green up.

I read that mulberry seeds need a 60 to 100 day stratification (http://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-mulberry-trees-24620.html). I started mine inside the house during the winter, so I left them in the refrigerator for 90 days before I planted them and that seemed to work out pretty well.

Experience says that is incorrect. Try it with fresh fruit this summer. Let me know which one you believe after you try it.

If it works for you that is awesome. Unfortunately our mulberry tree has never had any seedlings sprout up from the fallen fruit, so apparently just planting them will not work for seeds from our tree. I went into my mulberry planting project expecting failure because many of the things I have read said that if the tree didn't have a bunch of seedlings under it every year, then it was probably a graft that would not produce viable seed. 90 days later I planted four seeds, and in two weeks from planting one had sprouted and now a little over three months later I have a second seedling. I don't know... Maybe ours is some kind of variety that needs a really good stratification period.

Back
Top Bottom