a transparent roof a decent idea for a coop?

wannabe4birds

Chirping
Apr 2, 2018
Greenville,NC
I'm bouncing around coop-building ideas with folks and wondered: since I read that chickens want all the light they can get, and I'm not sure how many windows my coop-to-be will have (a 4X4X4 coop, maybe), what about the roof? Initially I figured I'd get a white-painted metal roof so it wouldn't get so hot in summer. Then somebody told me a fiberglass roof would be less heat-absorbing/retaining. Now I'm thinking -- is it possible to use a transparent material (a plexiglass sort of thing) for that? Maybe it would be prohibitively expensive, or impractical or .....? Are there other options?

Re: heat, maybe a transparent material would let too much light into a coop and make it broil. If so, maybe a cloth/wood cover could be placed on it and anchored by stones? I'm just spitballing here; any ideas/anecdotes would be appreciated ....

Mitch

For what it's worth: I expect the coop to be in an area of my garden which only gets direct sunlight in the afternoon. Weak in winter, and really intense in summer (here in eastern NC).

In NC, I'd go with a roof which does not let in light. How many birds are you planning on having? No matter how few birds, if you can go bigger than 4 x 4, I think you will be pleased that you did. I would opt for a 4 x 8 shed style, walk in. If you ever decide you don't want to continue with chickens, you will then have a nice tool or garden shed.

Minimum recommendation for back yard flock is: at least 4 s.f./bird in coop. with 1 s.f. of ventilation per bird.

In NC, I'd go with a roof which does not let in light. How many birds are you planning on having? No matter how few birds, if you can go bigger than 4 x 4, I think you will be pleased that you did. I would opt for a 4 x 8 shed style, walk in. If you ever decide you don't want to continue with chickens, you will then have a nice tool or garden shed.

Minimum recommendation for back yard flock is: at least 4 s.f./bird in coop. with 1 s.f. of ventilation per bird.

Thx for the input, gardener; if I can do something bigger than a 4X4, I will; part of it depends on how much a pal who's wiling to help me is willing to do. I'm not handy, and he seems to think a coop bigger than 4X4 could be a issue -- for some reason. I hope to have 5 hens or so. I already have a tool shed (~10X10; wouldn't make a bad coop itself, but .... then I wouldn't have anywhere to keep all my garden crap) ....

Can you add on to your garden shed? I'm a 62 y.o. biddy. In the last 5 years, I've built 2 tractors, a cattle panel coop 8 x 12, and a 8 x 8 green house. If I can build a coop, any one else with a bit of stubborn can do the same. Check out this little book:

61EoH20HyqL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

It has lots of plans, as well as DIY instructions to give you the confidence to build and design your own. It is no more difficult to build a 4 x 8 than it would be to build a 4 x 4. As a matter of fact, I say, it would be easier, b/c there would be less cuts, and less fitting involved.

LG is right. Plywood comes in 4x8 sheets. a 4x4 coop would require cutting the plywood. A 4x8 or 8x8 wouldn't. Just plan your stud spacing so the plywood meets at the corners.
And, frankly, a 4x4 coop isn't all that big when you start putting in roosts and nest boxes though the nest box can be a 4' long box with 3 dividers made separately and attached to the outside of the coop. I suggest getting out your measuring tape and marking out 4'x4' area.

I'm bouncing around coop-building ideas with folks and wondered: since I read that chickens want all the light they can get, and I'm not sure how many windows my coop-to-be will have (a 4X4X4 coop, maybe), what about the roof? Initially I figured I'd get a white-painted metal roof so it wouldn't get so hot in summer. Then somebody told me a fiberglass roof would be less heat-absorbing/retaining. Now I'm thinking -- is it possible to use a transparent material (a plexiglass sort of thing) for that? Maybe it would be prohibitively expensive, or impractical or .....? Are there other options?

Re: heat, maybe a transparent material would let too much light into a coop and make it broil. If so, maybe a cloth/wood cover could be placed on it and anchored by stones? I'm just spitballing here; any ideas/anecdotes would be appreciated ....

Mitch

For what it's worth: I expect the coop to be in an area of my garden which only gets direct sunlight in the afternoon. Weak in winter, and really intense in summer (here in eastern NC).
I'm south of Richmond Va. . I have a horsering that I fenced in and it is covered on top with wire. Have 4 coops in it. They are shingles but my chicks like to stay out and walk in pen. I covered half the top with metal but I'm covering the other half with gray transparent panels. It's new material. Better than fiberglass. Almost impossible to break. 25 year guarentee. It lets light thru but filters 95% of UV. 12 ft long and 26 inch wide cost about $23 each. Sold at all home improvement stores. Amazon has pack of 10 panels 6 ft long 26 in wide for $175. This will let light thru for my solar stuff to work and I have light sensor that turns on lights, heaters etc auto so I don't have to worry about doing it if I'm busy.

Thx all for your interesting input; more food (feed?) for thought. I'll powwow with my pal and see if he's willing to go along with the 4X8 plyboard thing. Sounds reasonable to me -- and I think the birds would appreciate it.

I use polycarbonate panels on my coops, and my chickens seem to be just fine with them. I use the tinted version so that they can get a bit more shade in summer, but it still lets in enough light to keep winter from seeming quite as dark.

My original coop is a bit over three years old now and they're still in great shape. They're not the cheapest option, but they're not ridiculous, either.

When building my new coop, I discovered that Home Depot carries a brand that comes in 6' lengths, while Lowes carries a brand that comes in 8' lengths. The ribbings on the two are different enough that you could join them edge to edge, but not end to end, if that makes sense.

In Eastern NC? I think you would cook them alive.

If you're on a budget go with the traditional Carolina Coop, which is a 10x10 Dog Pen covered on top and three sides with a roost bar and nesting boxes. Seriously, drive around the country and see how many of those you see. With either a hardware cloth apron or hotwire for predators.

Back
Top Bottom