A treatise on Electric Fencing

Pics
The volt meter arrived today. My fence is testing at ~19k volts. My german shepherd made contact with it and I could tell she was in pain. I'm confident it will deter anything that touches it.

But will it kill my chickens?

No......but it might launch them about 10 feet in the air.......once.

They may get near it after that, but probably won't be crossing it much after that. Except if they do get out, in a panic, they may lift up and hop over it to get back in. None of mine have been out in over a year.

anybody with $$ to spend on electric chicken nets, they are having a sale according to their email below... I have some, mainly used ones, they work well.

Thank you for your business, comments and product reviews throughout 2018.

We’re excited to begin 2019 with over 7,500 product reviews submitted by users just like you! Whether you’ve got livestock in the pasture or a flock of chickens in the backyard, our customer reviews can give you the confidence to make the right decision.

To express our gratitude, we’re offering 10% OFF our retail price on all in-stock electric netting, net gates and netting kits. Enter the promotional code WINTERNET9 during checkout to take advantage of this special pricing.

We look forward to providing you with the best field-tested farm supplies and equipment for years to come.

—The folks at Premier 1

https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php

Orders must be placed on or before January 14th!

10% OFF PROMO CODE*
WINTERNET9

* Discount only available on orders placed between 12:01 a.m. (CT) Jan. 10 and 11:59 p.m. (CT) Jan. 14, 2019. Discount does not apply to previously placed orders. Offer applies exclusively to in-stock retail priced electrifiable nets, net gates and netting kitspurchased at premier1supplies.com. Closeouts and used items are excluded. Cannot be combined with any other promotional offer.

Wow, great article, you answered all my grounding questions.
I have declared all out war on raccoons, and it is sort of my fault for not realizing snow will ground out a premier fence. We had 18 inches and fence was doing nothing.
I have since run a single strand of 14 gauge wire, one at about 4-5 inches from the ground and the other level with the top of the netting, I have it set up so I can connect all of them, or when we get too much snow just the top wire, Which runs along the top of the shed roof and privacy fence. It is putting out a pretty good whallop. I didn't quite cry, but my neighbor was worried about the shout. Just brushed it with my elbow.
Is my reasoning flawed? the top wire is about 3 inches away from the netting, so anything climbing it will hit the single strand.

I thought the issue of snow had been discussed on this thread, but maybe not?

Anyway, so this is what is going on today........

20190112_092323.jpg 20190112_092513.jpg

We are up to 18 to 20 inches so far, with more on the way. Snow has nearly buried all 4 wires.....only top wire is showing and even it is gone in places. Fencer is on and still shocking!

So it turns out pure water and thus pure snow is NOT a good conductor. It is only after water and snow are contaminated with some type of electrolyte does it light you up. Downside is if an animal is standing on fresh, pure snow, he may be insulated and may not get zapped. At least not a full dose. Something to be aware of.

Since birds will not be out and about in this......I won't even open the door to let them try.......I have turned the fencer off for today.

Attachments

• 20190112_092622.jpg
    20190112_092622.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 5
Wow, great article, you answered all my grounding questions.
I have declared all out war on raccoons, and it is sort of my fault for not realizing snow will ground out a premier fence. We had 18 inches and fence was doing nothing.
I have since run a single strand of 14 gauge wire, one at about 4-5 inches from the ground and the other level with the top of the netting, I have it set up so I can connect all of them, or when we get too much snow just the top wire, Which runs along the top of the shed roof and privacy fence. It is putting out a pretty good whallop. I didn't quite cry, but my neighbor was worried about the shout. Just brushed it with my elbow.
Is my reasoning flawed? the top wire is about 3 inches away from the netting, so anything climbing it will hit the single strand.

What are they climbing? I put a ground and hot on three sides of the top.

My fencing is down. Also with only top wire showing. Snow would be of similar depth except it has done a lot melting. Still well over a foot. So much bamboo has fell over that is more than enough to create short. Snow collecting on pen covers caused the wires to buckle causing dead short in that way as well. I have a back up system, the dogs. We will go back out and walk perimeter to do a little scent marking and try to get some bamboo off wires. Bamboo need not be so close to hotwire.

What are they climbing? I put a ground and hot on three sides of the top.
Trees, the side of the shed, and a privacy fence.
I believe Rocky got hit but good the other night going over the fence, from my CSI point of view, he stood on the aluminum ladder and tried to go over and hit the wire. :weeit takes more than a little jostling to move the 40 ft extension ladder from it's nice little rack to 8 ft away on the ground. in the cold rain/sleet/snow.

Trees, the side of the shed, and a privacy fence.
I believe Rocky got hit but good the other night going over the fence, from my CSI point of view, he stood on the aluminum ladder and tried to go over and hit the wire. :weeit takes more than a little jostling to move the 40 ft extension ladder from it's nice little rack to 8 ft away on the ground. in the cold rain/sleet/snow.

If he jumped from a tree, it wouldn't zap him?

Back
Top Bottom