A trip back in time

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
A friend of mine found this in his shed. The Mr. Luther mentioned in the advertisement used to own his property. We're pretty sure this is from the 1930's.

LialGiffordHatchery.png

Anyway, it's pretty humorous to read now. Broilers that attain 4 lbs at only 10 weeks? OMG!
wink.png
It really shows you how much things have changed.

It turns out that there were actually two hatcheries in St. Johns back then. Today, I think there may only be one hatchery left in the entire state (Townline).

"Write, wire, or telephone xxx your requirements today."

Back in the days of the telegraph... And when folks said "telephone" rather than "call." And how many people place an order to a company by snail mail these days?

And now a days a 10 week old meat bird that weighs 4 pounds sure isn't nothing to brag about... They should be 4 pounds by 6-7 weeks old.

Wow. It's amazing how far we've come!
smile.png

Quote:
I didn't even catch the telegraph reference! My friend pointed out the 3 digit telephone number, though. I guess it would have to be a big town to have more than 1,000 phone numbers? LOL!

Quote:
I didn't even catch the telegraph reference! My friend pointed out the 3 digit telephone number, though. I guess it would have to be a big town to have more than 1,000 phone numbers? LOL!

Oh! That's what that is... The phone #... 208. I was trying to figure out what it said, LOL! Cause there's no such thing as a three digit phone number, LOL!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom