Abdominal tumor or ? what to do?

wildlifezone

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
My poor Rhode Island has been eating and pooping like a healthy hen, but when I noticed her waddling I picked her up (she is very people shy, so I don't usually handle her) and her entire abdomen from below her wishbone to her legs to her cloaca is like a huge taught balloon. I gave her a warm bath - which she seemed to enjoy, actually floated around for 15 min - and gently checked her oviduct the way one does to see if they are egg bound. Nothing.

What could it be, a massive tumor? She has been unwilling to jump the lip into her coop for weeks, I though it may be a leg since they get leg injuries so easily, and she is only 2-3 years old. So I believe whatever this is has been going on for a while. Anyone seen this before? I can't afford a biopsy and even if it is a tumor it is too massive to treat. Could it be something else? I have her on antibiotics in PM and probiotics in am just in case. Is there anything I can do to keep her from being in pain, aside from painkillers? Poor Buckbeak.

thanks

Renee

There are several causes of ascites, reproductive problems being a very common one, particularly in hens over the age of two. Usually once ascites occurs the long term prognosis is poor. I would concentrate on keeping her happy and comfortable until she is obviously not feeling well, and then consider euthanizing, it does sound like it's advanced. Some will drain ascites, which can bring some temporary relief, but it does have risks.

I would have to agree with others that your hen may have ascites or at least a reproductive disorder. Ascites is yellow fluid that collects in the abdomen from liver disease, secondary to some reproductive disorders, oviduct cancer, infection, and sometimes, heart failure. Some people have their vet or may try themselves and remove some of the fluid with a large bore needle usually a 16 gauge if you can one that large in a feed store. The area should be disinfected with Hibiclens or Betadine before inserting the needle. In the pic below by @casportpony, it shows a needle draining a very tight abdomen.
upload_2019-10-14_19-37-52.jpeg

Here are 2 videos showing how it is done:

Back
Top Bottom