Abit of help please (sorry long post, im new )

hussnain6061

Hatching
Jun 25, 2015
West yorkshire/England
Hi, ive hatched three chicken eggs in my incubator as i wanted to try them, thankfully all three hatched and are growing up beautifully, they are very social little chickens, any ideas as to what breeds they might be?
By the way i do have a coop for them etc, i regularly give them some freedom and roam around the garden to pick out slugs and worms, just recently they have started digging and rolling around in mud, is this just to cool off? Or some form of weird behaviour, thankyou

Hi, ive hatched three chicken eggs in my incubator as i wanted to try them, thankfully all three hatched and are growing up beautifully, they are very social little chickens, any ideas as to what breeds they might be?
By the way i do have a coop for them etc, i regularly give them some freedom and roam around the garden to pick out slugs and worms, just recently they have started digging and rolling around in mud, is this just to cool off? Or some form of weird behaviour, thankyou

Pictures will help greatly with the breeds. or you can look at the different breeds here at BYC. A lot of people here can tell even in new born chicks what breed.

rolling around in the dirt is a good thing. it helps with grooming, keeping pests off your chickens like lice and mites, and yes it helps them to cool off.

Good luck with your babies Chickens are great pets!

@tjo804

Sorry i tried to attach an image with my thread it didnt seem to upload

They appear to be about three weeks old? I'm thinking all three may be males because of how light the barring is on all three. The one on the left has red in his comb and wattles appearing already, so he's a boy for sure IMO, and I would expect females to be darker than him.

Last edited:
I think you may still have at least 1 pullet in there 3 weeks is early to be sure and the combs although getting noticeable are still very pale and I only see waddles coming in on one so far so
fl.gif

I think you may still have at least 1 pullet in there 3 weeks is early to be sure and the combs although getting noticeable are still very pale and I only see waddles coming in on one so far so :fl .

You could be right. I'm not 100% sure on the color thing in BR's yet, still trying to nail it down. The combs aren't that big in the other two.

Last edited:
@tjo804@Toddrick
They are much older than 3 weeks, sorry the picture isnt perfect seen as, theyre all huddled up together in the mud. If i get any better pictures i will post them up. But thankyou for your help and respect
1f60e.png

Back
Top Bottom