About to get chicks, need advice

Soupp

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
Hello everyone, a family friend of mine is currently incubating some eggs that we had so we’re expecting chicks in a couple of weeks. We’re totally new to raising baby chicks so I do need help with getting a good setup for them. We already have a 3-4 feet by 1 1/2 foot cage.

From my understanding, we need:
A heating lamp or source
Food
Bedding

If you guys can recommended specific items for the setup or anything else that we’ll need, I’d really appreciate it. Any tips for raising them would also be great if you have any.

1. Feed - Chicks need chick starter crumbles for the first 8 weeks of their life. You should find a chick feeder that doesn't let them waste a lot, raising the feeder also helps. You can find chick feeders at TSC and online.
2. Heating source - You can use a heating lamp or plate. The plate should only be used when the chicks are close to a week old. Heating lamps are more likely to catch things on fire.
3. Bedding - Use shredded paper for the first few days ( so they don't choke on shavings ) and after that, you can use pine shavings. You can find shavings at TSC or maybe smaller bags at a pet store.
4. Water - When you're giving them water, make sure it's not cold or hot, it needs to be warm. Raising the water container helps prevent the chicks from getting wet and making more of a mess. You can find these online or at TSC.
5. Brooder - Chicks are able to jump and "fly" pretty well. They start getting their wing feathers just a day or two after hatching. They'll need a brooder that is close to 3 feet tall, or one with a lid.
6. Ventilation - The chicks will need a well ventilated brooder, however, the brooder still needs to be kept warm.
7. Brooder temperature - Chicks need different temperatures based on how old they are. You should be dropping the temperature 5 degrees every week, starting at 95 degrees F. ( A thermometer in the brooder helps determine the temp. ) The temperature should stop at 70 degrees, which is week six.
There's much more to learn, so definitely do more research!

Back
Top Bottom