About using ivomec for goats

I realize this is a really old thread but I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone will answer them.

I have two goat kids 2 1/2 months old. They both had lice and worms when I got them I used Ivomec 1% inj. orally and gave .2 mls.

My question is this and I've searched hi and low on the internet and have not found an answer. Will giving the Ivomec inj. orally get rid of the lice? It's been 10 days and they are still itching and I can still see lice nits on their fur.

Should I give another oral dose or apply it topically?

Thanks

You might want to inject it. You can use it topically like you would with a flea spot on. But if you can actually see the lice then they are pretty infested. You might also want to treat their sleeping area. Sevin Dust is what I have used in the past. Keep it off of the hay and water and food.

Thank you both so much for answering me! I went ahead and gave it orally again at a higher dose and I cleaned out their house and put all new hay in.

I didn't use any seven dust because I don't have any at the moment and couldn't get to the store. I plan on picking that up as soon as I can and treating their house, but I have avoided so far because I have two 5 year old boys who love their goats and hug on them and pick them up and I didn't want them getting the dust on themselves.

Thanks again for your help it's much appreciated
thumbsup.gif

hey, wondering if that worked for you? in some areas ivermectin class drugs are no longer working because of built up resistance... did this work?

We had lice last year on our babies...once we had killed the lice off treating with ivermectin (orally), the nits stuck to the fur until they wore off or the fur was replaced. They are super-glued I think. I tried everything to scrub them off to no avail. Also, I had been told that if they had nits that they would hatch and I'd have to treat again, but they just sort of turned yellow and eventually were gone...took a LONG time! They were especially noticeable on black fur.

Back
Top Bottom