Abscess in chicken's cheek and mouth. Canker- remedies?

Give the infected bird(s) one 250mg tablet of metronidazole once a day for 5-7 days. It will clear up on it's own. Then once a month, make the copper sulfate solution per instructions in post #6.

thanks! Yes i have been putting the metronidazole in their water, for the past couple of days, and the canker has already gone down quite a bit. So she should make a full recovery, and all my other ladies seem to be doing just fine.

Is canker contagious? I have a hen that started with a lump like this on her cheek and it had a scab on it and I was able to get the scab off and a kernel came out with the scab. just assumed it was staph like bumblefoot
Yoursay have been something totally different. Maybe like something getting stuck in there and getting encapsulated. That may be why it looked like a kernal when it came out.
When I was quite young and also when I had my first chickens, I can never remember any viruses, fungi, or bacterial infections in any of my chickens or on family farms. Over here, it seems there is something at every turn around!

I'm about to treat one hen with a severe canker (I ordered Meditrich). I'll get the copper sulfate for the other hens who look healthy. Question: I had 3 ducks living with the chickens, so should the ducks get the copper sulfate too? They seem healthy. I have now separated the ducks from the chickens. And the sick hen is separated.

Back
Top Bottom