Abusive Rooster- opinions?

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I have two Welsummer roosters about 2 1/2 months old. I had a sub-cage for a ~5 week old Penasendesca chick within the same coop. Thank goodness I came home early. One of the Welsummer roosters must have flown from the roost into the cage. He pecked the heck out of the poor chick. The chick was hiding under the light fixture.

Opinions? Should I kill the rooster before he is abusive again? I moved the chick into the house. None of the other 5 Welsummers or two Marans (one is a rooster) have been attacked.

I do not think the cockerel was being "aggressive" - just doing what most young/adult birds do when they encounter chicks. Generally only mom and some Roosters will "care for and not peck" at chicks.

I would just be sure that this could not happen again by fixing the little one's pen.

Quote:
I agree that he is not being aggressive....he is new at seeing chicks and thought it was something invasive in the coop LOL!

With a good mom around, she would certainly flog that young rooster for pecking the chick. It would take a few tries before he gets the idea not to bother chicks anymore unless no mom around to protect the chick.

I agree, most adult/older birds will harass and or kill younger ones, given the opportunity. This is why they should not be penned together. Your cockerel got in by accident, but he was being a normal teenager chicken. If you like him otherwise- I would hang on to him for longer- see what he is like as an adult.

Quote:

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

He/she seems to be in pain. I'll keep it in the house for now, then section off the coop. I was using a fold-able wire dog pen. Chicken wire can be put across the top. I'll try to sell the rooster, but one more time and his goose is cooked!

Back
Top Bottom