Acceptable substitute for sour cream?

mylittlechickpea

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
It will have a different flavor but the greek would be better than plain yogurt. Just don't get the vanilla flavor!
We use canned cream of mushroom soup in our green bean casserole. Also fresh mushrooms, diced and lightly pan fried, since I do not like canned mushrooms.

Quote:
My wife's on Weight Watchers (lost over 51 pounds !!) and so we have Greek Yoghurt around a lot. I use instead of sour cream in my disappearing banana nut bread, it really is a lot thicker than regular yoghurt and I would say it doesn't have a "sour" taste like sour cream but you will get the result you want replacing sour cream with it in the casserole. It's also yummy on baked potatoes.

bigmike&nan :

Quote:
My wife's on Weight Watchers (lost over 51 pounds !!) and so we have Greek Yoghurt around a lot. I use instead of sour cream in my disappearing banana nut bread, it really is a lot thicker than regular yoghurt and I would say it doesn't have a "sour" taste like sour cream but you will get the result you want replacing sour cream with it in the casserole. It's also yummy on baked potatoes.

Congrats to your wife. I agree with the banana bread and using sour cream in it. Will have to try the greek yogurt next time.​

Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt "strained" to allow the whey to drip out.

You can get "yogurt cheese strainers" (google it or visit a kitchen store--I think I've even seen them in WalMart), or use a clean coffee filter or a clean cotton (not terry) dish towel), to line a kitchen strainer, or a clean permanent/fine mesh coffee filter unit like you'd have for your drip coffee maker.

Allow it to drip over a bowl for about 2 hours, or until it's reached the consistency you'd like. The longer it drips, the thicker it gets.

I have an antique cone-shaped food ricer that I line with a dishtowel. It's on a stand, so I dont' have to fiddle with a way to keep it off the bottom of the bowl--I just set it in a pie plate to drip.

Save the whey for the dogs or cats, or use it to mix with regular milk to make "buttermilk" biscuits--yum!

Last edited:
Thanks for all responses everyone. I went out to commisary today, and I guess we're all out of greek yogurt today..
hmm.png
It happens. So I got plain old yogurt and I'll just strain it out, thanks for the advice with the coffee filter
big_smile.png
Will def give that a try.

Back
Top Bottom