Accidently tore skin on chicks abdomen wiping pasty butt off! What do I do now?

CathyB59

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
SE Montana
I just got 50 chicks on Monday and I was wiping poo from pasty butt off one of the chicks and accidently tore the skin! It's not bleeding and the other chicks don't seem to be pecking at it. Will it heal or do I need to separate it from the others and treat it? How do I treat it? Thanks for your help.

Okay - I bypassed this one twice because it made my stomach flip...lol...but here I am again. Do you keep any bluekote around??? TS sells it if not. If the chicks are closely monitored, and it's not bleeding, I'd probably spray it to camouflage the area and put it back. But if the chicks are kept in a shed or something similar, I'd probably wire off an area within the brooder for 2 - 3 days to give the area a chance to heal without fear of others noticing and pecking at it...

Yes, I do have Blue-Kote. I'll try that. I'm hoping it will heal if I can keep it from getting infected.
fl.gif

I had a chick a couple of weeks ago with pasty butt. I was afraid I'd do the same thing...that stuff is hard to get off. I tried cleaning up the chick without holding him under warm running water, but it wouldn't work. So, afterwards I used the hair dryer and gently dried him - I think he liked it!!

Hope it recovers soon...

Back
Top Bottom