acv with "mother"

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i was buying groceries today. i was going to grab some apple cider vinegar for the chicks. they had "with mother" i bought it, but i don't know why it matters. did i waste my money?

I'm betting that wolftracks probably isn't looking for another project LOL but I'd suggest making your own.

Next time you get a bottle of ACV with the mother, sacrifice half of it. Pour it into a gallon jug. Then get 2 cans of frozen apple juice. It has to be the frozen because, like filtered ACV, the enzymes haven't been killed. 2 cans will make a gallon. So that half bottle with the gallon of reconstituted frozen apple juice gets covered with a cloth or coffee filter secured tightly with a couple rubber bands. Put it in the pantry and just let it sit for at least a month. You'll see the live mother appear on the top. It'll make a layer of slimy tan-white sort of stuff. That is the live, real, honest, mother. You can bottle your homemade ACV and for the next batch, just mix up the apple juice and plop that mother in there (hehe) and in another month you'll have another gallon of ACV and two mothers. Share the extra, put it in the compost, or cut it up small and give it to the chickens. Mine love it so long as it's cut in small enough pieces.

Edit: Don't add the Braggs or whatever until AFTER you've mixed up the apple juice and it's around room temperature.

Last edited:
lol.png
I've been told that a time or two on here! Stalk away....you won't find many from this year but many from years past. I like helping those who really want to learn and so I find those people seem attracted to my posts~ironically.
big_smile.png

Vinegar is a Latin word that means "sour wine."

You are not going to produce ACV from un-fermented apple juice. All vinegars are made from alcohol derived from one source or the other but always from the action of yeast cells feeding on sugar. If it were not so then there would not be any; apple CIDER vinegar, or red WINE vinegar, or white WINE vinegar, or rice WINE vinegar, or MALT (beer) vinegar and finally there would be no reason to call DISTILLED (as in white lighting or moonshine vinegar) DISTILLED white vinegar.

When vinegar is produced it is never distilled. Instead after the chemical process that changes alcohol into vinegar is completed the resulting vinegar is diluted with pure water from 15% acidity down to (hopefully) 5% acid content. The word "distilled" on a bottle of distilled white vinegar is how the alcohol used to make white distilled vinegar was derived. In other words "distilled" vinegar is made from "moonshine" usually distilled from corn mash. I said hopefully because homemade vinegar is dangerous if it is used to preserve food because there is no way in a house hold setting to be sure that the acid content in homemade vinegar is sufficient to halt Botulism and other shu-nasty-nasty food born illnesses. If you want to use homemade vinegar in salad dressings etc. go ahead.

An alcohol content above 30 proof or 15% will kill the bacteria culture (mother) needed to make homemade ACV. The same thing is true with the acid produced by ACV or any other vinegars. An acid content above 15% will also kill "mother of vinegar." That is how some smaller vinegar manufactures know when their vinegar is ready cut or dilute and sell. The mother croaks.

Thank you so much for your help! Ironically enough I've been stalking your posts as I love your chicken keeping style and advice! ...thankful for your wisdom and willingness to share with those of us chicken keeping orphans :)
If you do write that book let me know ;)

It's all good....nothing bad there. 

I want to start using ACV for my chickens, I use a plastic bucket with the poultry drinker cups. I beleive there is a metal spring in the drinker cups, does anyone know if it is ok to use ACV with them?

Why do you think your Birds need ACV?.... Clean fresh water is actually the best.....;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom