acv with "mother"

Okay...thanks.
sad.png
I guess I'll have to stop at the heath food store. Maybe they can help. Not much choice at the grocery.
hugs.gif
Bee, you just saved me from wasting a week or more of futility! Thanks
frow.gif

Carol

OK I went back to the grocery store and went to the whole foods section (instead of the salad dressing section) and FOUND IT!! It says ALL the right things on the bottle. I just bought a small bottle and plan to introduce it to regular vinegar. Can I do it in the plastic large vinegar containers?

I found your post on the meaties thread...
"You can do it even quicker with one jug of mother vinegar that you split off into jugs of regular, pasteurized ACV. That way you don't have to wait for the apple juice to ferment...just instant vinegar with the mother. This can go on exponentially....just keep buying the cheaper, pasteurized ACV and place a little mother vinegar in it and you have a jug sitting there forming more cultures. That jug can be split off, and those jugs can be split off...and it doesn't have to end."
Thanks, Bee!

This is an older thread but glad I found it. I had heard you could make ACV with the mother just by adding some to regular ACV. ( Trying to save money) Well I added a cup of Braggs to regular 1/2 gal. ACV put paper towel over jar and put in my closet for 2 wks. I took it out and there was this big glob of snot looking stuff in it. I thought great just wasted a cup of Braggs, but sounds like it worked from the previous posts so thanx everyone.

This is an older thread but glad I found it. I had heard you could make ACV with the mother just by adding some to regular ACV. ( Trying to save money) Well I added a cup of Braggs to regular 1/2 gal. ACV put paper towel over jar and put in my closet for 2 wks. I took it out and there was this big glob of snot looking stuff in it. I thought great just wasted a cup of Braggs, but sounds like it worked from the previous posts so thanx everyone.

I do the same thing and use it for my chickens and rabbits. They seems to like it but I can't bring myself to use it myself.

Vinegar is a Latin word that means "sour wine."

You are not going to produce ACV from un-fermented apple juice. All vinegars are made from alcohol derived from one source or the other but always from the action of yeast cells feeding on sugar. If it were not so then there would not be any; apple CIDER vinegar, or red WINE vinegar, or white WINE vinegar, or rice WINE vinegar, or MALT (beer) vinegar and finally there would be no reason to call DISTILLED (as in white lighting or moonshine vinegar) DISTILLED white vinegar.

When vinegar is produced it is never distilled. Instead after the chemical process that changes alcohol into vinegar is completed the resulting vinegar is diluted with pure water from 15% acidity down to (hopefully) 5% acid content. The word "distilled" on a bottle of distilled white vinegar is how the alcohol used to make white distilled vinegar was derived. In other words "distilled" vinegar is made from "moonshine" usually distilled from corn mash. I said hopefully because homemade vinegar is dangerous if it is used to preserve food because there is no way in a house hold setting to be sure that the acid content in homemade vinegar is sufficient to halt Botulism and other shu-nasty-nasty food born illnesses. If you want to use homemade vinegar in salad dressings etc. go ahead.

An alcohol content above 30 proof or 15% will kill the bacteria culture (mother) needed to make homemade ACV. The same thing is true with the acid produced by ACV or any other vinegars. An acid content above 15% will also kill "mother of vinegar." That is how some smaller vinegar manufactures know when their vinegar is ready cut or dilute and sell. The mother croaks.

Back
Top Bottom