acv with "mother"

SO RELIEVED! I didn't want to grow the loch-ness monster in my laundry room!
th.gif

gig.gif

I'll have to look into making my own - have been using Bragg's for a long time and will have to see if it's cheaper to make my own.

this was unpasteurised apple cider that turned to vinegar. I bought it as vinegar $2.00 a gallon. I poured it into the glass gallon jar with a coffee filter on top to see if it would grow a mother. and I guess it did. I tasted it and it is not as harsh?as the Heinz UP/AVC seems sweeter to me. now to buy a gallon of plain AVC and inoculate it with the mother.

Nope...mother is made. It will grow from there. The reasons for leaving the lid off the jug is to draw yeast spores from the air and to let out some gases as they get established and ferment the fluid. Once you have a good mother, you are golden and can cap that right off.

OK all I could find at the grocery was Heinz -- in a small glass bottle and I couldn't see the word "distilled" on it anywhere. Is that worth trying to use to get live culture? I also bought a large regular off-brand ACV that IS distilled. Can I just pour some of the ACV from the glass bottle into the larger jug? It's plastic. Is that okay? I was planning to pour about 1 cup into the gallon, rubber band a coffee filter on top, and set it in the dark behind the furnace for a week and then check. It's usually 75-80* there. Sound like a plan? I'd really like to get this going before my chickies come in the spring and I'm considering fermenting feed/scratch for my 16 chickens.
Thanks for your advice!
thumbsup.gif

Carol

Back
Top Bottom