Apple cider vinegar?

It's no miracle, mostly just a fad.
And it must be Active Cider Vinegar, the kind with a live 'mother scoby' in it.
Would antibiotics
It's no miracle, mostly just a fad.
And it must be Active Cider Vinegar, the kind with a live 'mother scoby' in it.
I would say ACV is much more than a fad, for chickens and humans alike. A very low cost, and effective preventative measure.

Does it cause a chemical reaction or just discolor the metal?
It reacts with the metal.
How fast depends on the metal as it is only a weak acid. If your waterers are gold it is probably OK to use vinegar! Vinegar will react with zinc - which is commonly on the surface of animal products as 'galvanized metal'.
Zinc in excess is toxic to chickens and the vinegar will strip the zinc off the galvanized surface and so the zinc will be in the water the chickens drink.
It will also rust iron and low grade stainless steel potentially as well.
This doesn't happen instantaneously - vinegar is already a weak acid and it is only a weak solution being used for the chickens - so a weak solution of a weak acid. Flushing with vinegar to clean stuff shouldn't be a problem for example, but using a metal waterer (or nipples) and having them sit in vinegar day in and day out will eventually cause them to corrode.

Last edited:
From the time my first chicks were babies I put a drop or two of apple cider vinegar in their water I did this with my new chicks too i still but it in my one year old chickens water I read it's good for the birds just wanted to confirm this they all seem to be thriving so I don't think it's doing anything bad just wanted to hear your thoughts on this
My thoughts on ACV pls avoid it in Summers because it cause extreme dehydration

Does it cause a chemical reaction or just discolor the metal?
It reacts with the metal.
How fast depends on the metal as it is only a weak acid. If your waterers are gold it is probably OK to use vinegar! Vinegar will react with zinc - which is commonly on the surface of animal products as 'galvanized metal'.
Zinc in excess is toxic to chickens and the vinegar will strip the zinc off the galvanized surface and so the zinc will be in the water the chickens drink.
It will also rust iron and low grade stainless steel potentially as well.
This doesn't happen instantaneously - vinegar is already a weak acid and it is only a weak solution being used for the chickens - so a weak solution of a weak acid. Flushing with vinegar to clean stuff shouldn't be a problem for example, but using a metal waterer (or nipples) and having them sit in vinegar day in and day out will eventually cause them to corrode.
Many thx

Back
Top Bottom