Apple Cider Vinegar Scraps

TheMoonBottom

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
Hello BYC! I’m an old member with a new name. I couldn’t figure out my login in (or the email associated with it) from years ago.

I’ve been fermenting my own ACV and I read that I can give my scraps to me chickens. Have you done this? Is it wise?

I of course know the benefits of ACV and chickens, but I’m specifically speaking of the apple scraps I’ve drained off. Would they be too potent?

I assume you are referring to the Mother or the Culture ?
Personally I wouldn’t give it to my girlz I think it would be too rich for them.
Stick to using it to pickle their eggs rather than feeding to their mums 😂 and trying to get them pickled that way 😂
Hugz

I read that I can give my scraps to me chickens. Have you done this? Is it wise?
Welcome back! :frow

I would *think* crushed or fermented apple solids are okay in small amounts like a treat for enrichment purposes.. and depending on how much you have verses the size of the flock, etc. The general recommendation is not more than of 10% total daily intake. I refrigerate some things to extend feed-out life, if I have space and desire based on how much they like it and how much work it is for me etc.

The benefits of acv are some, sometimes.. but too much acidity inhibits calcium absorption.. presumably they would just eat more (long term).. but for (starter) informational purposes, the statement is here.

Last edited:
I assume you are referring to the Mother or the Culture ?
Personally I wouldn’t give it to my girlz I think it would be too rich for them.
Stick to using it to pickle their eggs rather than feeding to their mums 😂 and trying to get them pickled that way 😂
Hugz
No, not the mother, I meant the apple scraps.

Welcome back! :frow

I would *think* crushed or fermented apple solids are okay in small amounts like a treat for enrichment purposes.. and depending on how much you have verses the size of the flock, etc. The general recommendation is not more than of 10% total daily intake. I refrigerate some things to extend feed-out life, if I have space and desire based on how much they like it and how much work it is for me etc.

The benefits of acv are some, sometimes.. but too much acidity inhibits calcium absorption.. presumably they would just eat more (long term).. but for (starter) informational purposes, the statement is there.
This is what I was looking for! Thank you so much for the info! I may feed them a small amount, but throw the rest on the compost pile!
Thank you!

Hello BYC! I’m an old member with a new name. I couldn’t figure out my login in (or the email associated with it) from years ago.

I’ve been fermenting my own ACV and I read that I can give my scraps to me chickens. Have you done this? Is it wise?

I of course know the benefits of ACV and chickens, but I’m specifically speaking of the apple scraps I’ve drained off. Would they be too potent?
If it were me, I'd throw the scraps out there minus most of the apple seeds and if they eat it, great, if they don't, maybe it'll kill the dandelions. :)

Hello!

I made my own apple scrap vinegar for the first time this past year. With the apple scraps, I dumped some in the chicken coop, and they picked away at them. After a while, I ended up throwing them in the compost pile. But they did eat them! And no one died. :) So I think it's safe. 👍

Back
Top Bottom