ACV?

Crafty-Duck

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Lucky Duck Pond
When you add Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to your chickens water do you let it go until the water runs out or do you replace the water/ACV mixture daily? I have a small flock so I don't have to replace the water but every couple of days so I was just wondering if I should replace it everyday when it has the ACV in it?

Thanks
thumbsup.gif

I replace the water daily, but I don't always add ACV. I read you should give it for a week, then "plain" water for 3-4 weeks, then add ACV for a week and so on.

I replace the water daily and just add the ACV every second week. Not sure what's best as I'm new to chickens myslef, but I think a little and often is good. BTW, I find the chickens drink less with ACV in it. ON really really hot days (we are coming into summer here) I skip it until a cooler period.

Thanks for the answers! I will replace the ACV/water everyday that it's in the water.

I thought I had read before that chickens will drink more water because they like the taste of ACV? oh well when I give them water/ACV I always have another waterier with no ACV in it.

My flock gets ACV every day, year round. In summer, they drink almost two gallons of it every day. (Fifteen chickens) In winter, half that. They seem to enjoy the taste. I let them finish the water before I replace it, but if the water starts smelling "stale", I'll dump it. I haven't had to do that much, though.

I put one tablespoon of ACV in one gallon of fresh water, always scrubbing the water jug out with soap and water each time. I also add vitamins and electrolytes to the water. This has worked well for me.

Mine have ACV in their water 5 out of 7 days. One day with a probiotic powder mixed in and then one day plain. They aren't crazy about the probiotic water. If they drink all of the ACV water in a day ( as they did when it was hot) I don't refill it with ACV, just plain water. Right now they also have garlic powder in their water as 2 of my new chicks had a sneeze going on. Seems to have worked, no one else picked it up, and theirs seems to have stopped. ( hopefully)

Can ducks drink ACV?

I always hear about people adding it to their chickens water but what about ducks?is it safe for them to drink water/ACV?????

It is safe for ducks to drink. I've added it to my duck waterer several times.

My flock gets ACV every day, year round. In summer, they drink almost two gallons of it every day. (Fifteen chickens) In winter, half that. They seem to enjoy the taste. I let them finish the water before I replace it, but if the water starts smelling "stale", I'll dump it. I haven't had to do that much, though.

I put one tablespoon of ACV in one gallon of fresh water, always scrubbing the water jug out with soap and water each time. I also add vitamins and electrolytes to the water. This has worked well for me.
What kind of vitamins do you use?

Back
Top Bottom