Adams flea and tick spray for mites- should I toss the eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did find some posts on here, from last year, where a few old timers said you could go ahead and eat the eggs because the toxins are not absorbed into the eggs from the chicken. I am going to bet waiting at least a week or ten days is the best bet. Most other livestock pesticides site waiting 10+ days before eating the animal- I assume it'd be something like for things coming out of the animals. lol.

Its winter here, and I used adams. I just sprayed them outside. Works best if you hang them by their feet and spray all over- avoid the face- and then stick the nozzle right against the skin at the base of the tail and spray a couple times.

I havent found any more mites- dead or alive, in probably about 5 days.

This has me seriously wondering so I guess I will just ask and get it over with...Why do you want to use this spray? Why not poultry dust or Sevin? I don't care really what you choose to use but it is driving me mad that I don't know the answer to this.
hide.gif

Not sure if this will help at all, but as far as flea and tick sprays go, I would think Adams is the safest. First time i bought it, I drenched both cats and the dog with it, only to find one cat foaming at the mouth about an hour later. I rushed him to the vet and they put us in the room quickly. The vet hurried into the room, took one look at the bottle, and said "Thank God it's just Adam's!" Apparently if it had been anything else, we would have been looking at a kitty blood transfusion and only a 50% chance that would have saved him. But he said Adam's was perfectly safe, and Comet was only foaming because he licked it and it tastes awful and lingers. All Comet needed was a bath. Knowing this, I wouldn't hesitate to use Adam's on my birds if the need arises. I wouldn't hesitate to eat the eggs either. If a mouthful of pure spray does no harm to a cat, I doubt whatever traces that could possibly get into eggs would do any harm either.

Please don't take this in the wrong tone. I truly do not intend on this sounding nasty in any way.

What I am understanding you to be saying is that if something is okay for one species of animal then it is okay for another species of animal. In my mind that is the same thing as saying what is good for say an elephant or a horse is perfectly okay for a human being as well. I am just having a really hard time accepting that.

My vet told me to make sure that my chihuahua puppy didn't get into my cat's food because it could cause urinary problems for him. If there can be a problem sharing food don't you think that there could possibly be a problem with different species sharing medications?

@Arizona - interesting thought...I'm a nurse, not a vet, & it's still morning, but my first thought is: remember penicillin & amoxicillin, for instance, can be give to many humans and a wide array of animals as well. So, I would have to answer 'no' to your question about sharing medications since it was such a broad statement. I would think that each medication would have to be considered on an individual basis regarding it's action on the body, the body structure of the animal, side-effects etc based on evidence, and so on.

As far as the dog eating cat food thing...here is a link to a round-about explanation on why that happens. http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/cathealth.htm

I
am wondering about an earlier post I read while scanning this thread: is the Adams illegal to use on chickens in certain states, or is that everywhere? Guess I need to hunt down a bottle & read the label.

Quote:
----Any flea and tick medication is illegal to use, according to federal law (covering all states) differently than the directions on the bottle.----

On another unrelated note to the above post I hate it when threads get pirated into different topics. I didnt ask if it was legal, I asked about the transference of chemicals from skin to egg. People probably could have started a different thread about the legalities and ethics of flea spray and poultry all on their own. Adams is the only OTC pesticide I've ever found that is safe enough to multiple species- you can use it not only on cats and dogs, but very young animals as well.

I did find numerous articles online from professors and chicken enthusiasts, small scale farmers and vet techs discussing the use of Adam's (no other species specific flea spray) to treat mites and lice in poultry, some of them dated into the early 90's as practices used for a long while. So at least we know many people consider it the normal course of action, and have used it without issue for a long while. However no one mentions anything about transference to the egg. So we're giving it a week or 10 days to be safe.

its been a good 7-10 days since the first treatment with Adams, and about 3 days less for the last. Chickens are actually mite free, and much more lively and healthy looking now that theyre not suffering a loss of blood. Even their eyes look better. I would have spent that amount of time just waiting for the proper medication to arrive in the mail as, like I stated before, no one sells mite spray in my area. Considering treatment was already too late for my rooster who died almost a week ago I'll say it was a raging success and all those old timers who suggested it to me must be on to something.

Thanks for your helps!

I'm sorry you took offense to someone stating the fact that a product you are using off label is illegal. It has great bearing here, since there have been no scientific studies on poultry for this product and it has not been approved for use, there would be no known safe withdrawal times. It is also important that BYC helps members understand that we do not condone illegal behavior or recommend the use of such for other members. If other members read your post and decide to use the product, where do you think they'll tell authorities they found their information. This is a federal offense. Since you will not get an official answer to your question, as one does not exist, I will go ahead and close this thread. As others have mentioned, there are safer products to use that are approved for poultry and have documented withdrawal times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom