Added a ton of leaves to the coop and run= chicken heaven!

I've only had our five girls for three weeks, but I've been adding leaves a couple times a week to their 8'x12' run area so we can start the deep litter method. Their 4'x8' elevated coop on top of their run has sand on the floor.

I'm trying to figure out what to add for bedding after I run out of fall's leaves this winter. In the spring and summer I'll throw in cut grass.

I've only had our five girls for three weeks, but I've been adding leaves a couple times a week to their 8'x12' run area so we can start the deep litter method. Their 4'x8' elevated coop on top of their run has sand on the floor.

I'm trying to figure out what to add for bedding after I run out of fall's leaves this winter. In the spring and summer I'll throw in cut grass.
hay works mine really like it

That's an interesting thought. Does hay break down and compost better than straw? I've considered straw but figure it will be harder to break down and will just mat up when compared to dry leaves and grass clippings.

Quote:
Use some large black garbage bags and fill them with leaves for later use, just poke a few holes in the bags so they stay aerated and don’t get moldy. If you can't find enough around your yard, neighbiors are always willing to get rid of em.

Back
Top Bottom