Adding a Breed to your flock

fwschrom

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Hayden Idaho
Planning on something new? What breed are you planning to add to your flock? I haven't made up my mind yet but my short list, in no particular order of interesting candidates are:

1. Copper Marans
2. New Hampshire
3. Sussex-light or red
4. Langshan

The list has changed and evolved several times over the last few months, it started out a lot bigger but I have done more reading on some breeds and pulled several from the list. We have cold winters so a couple that I would like to have and are interested in just aren't practicle such as Ancona's, or personality and habits worry me like Buckeyes. Nothing to say before I act another breed could catch my eye. I like practical breeds, healthy, vigorous, calm and good flock members are big pluses in my book.

In the end it will probably come down to where I find quality birds will weight heavily on my decision.

Anyway whats on your wish list?

Sussex & Langshan--BIG birds...need LOTS of space, LOTS of feed & the LS do get frostbite on their combs. Copper Marans...I don't know, I've never had them. New Hampshires just seems like way too popular.
idunno.gif

I'd try the Buckeye. I haven't heard anything negative about their temperaments and they are supposed to be cold-hardy. I'm torn between Buckeyes and Dominiques right now...I'm basically going to go with whatever I find first that is show-quality...since I want something to produce eggs we can eat and I can sell (as eating eggs), something cold hardy & heat tolerant that will also range well and something that if I want to butcher extra roosters won't give me a huge guilt complex, LOL

Already have Buffs.

Sussex's are a little smaller than a buff, don't know about how heavy of eater they are though. I see you raise light Sussex's so I figure you would know better than I. How do you like their personalities?

New Hampshires aren't as popular as you would think, they are on the ALBC list as watch, I thought the same initially, but then I started looking for quality non hatchery birds and was suprised.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Sussex I have are larger than any buff I've seen. They eat a lot! The hens do lay almost daily (except when it's 100+ degrees, so far). I have had one roo test me, once. Since then, he will talk crap but will let me pet him and pick him up. They have the largest section of my coop and the largest run and I really only have room for four or five them (I have five now).

Rare Feathers Farm,

I looked at your web page and the posting you have for hatching eggs and I got to say your Light Sussex are gorgeous. Those are some really nice birds.
How much do they weight? They look on the heavy side, or they just breed standard?

From your list, in my order of importance.

1. BCM's - I'm hooked on the dark eggs. Get them from a reputable breeder. You don't want to be disappointed in the egg color.
2. Toss up, but I'd probably go with the Langshans.
3. Light Sussex
4. New Hampshire

My breed wish list at the moment:
More BCM's (Wynette's)
Lavendar Orps
Delawares
Java's
Jersey Giants

Back
Top Bottom