Adding DE to chicken feed?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I am curious if other chicken people add DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to their chicken feed. I would like to start to do this as a preventive for worms and general health. What is the ratio of DE to feed? I saw a video that recommends mixing 1 cup of DE and 5 pounds of ADULT feed and to do this once a month. If you use DE, how much and how often do you use it? Does DE work for you and is it effective?

The short answer is no. If you want to de-worm your chickens, use a de-wormer.
Thank you! Funny, I just read all your comments on another thread regarding DE. I’m getting the sense you are anti-DE. Lol. I am a newbie. So I do appreciate the advice. Is there anything I should be doing as a preventative for worms? How will I know if I have a worm problem? Thank you.

Thank you! Funny, I just read all your comments on another thread regarding DE. I’m getting the sense you are anti-DE. Lol. I am a newbie. So I do appreciate the advice. Is there anything I should be doing as a preventative for worms? How will I know if I have a worm problem? Thank you.
Welcome to chickens! I think we all started out thinking DE was some miracle substance. Then we learn from experience that it's not.

Best way to know is to have a vet do a fecal float to check for eggs. Another sure fire way is seeing the actual worms in their poop. At that point you've typically got a heavier load, though.

Good prevention would be having a fecal done once or twice a year. Some people just go ahead and worm them a couple times a year as well. Keeping their living area dry also helps. They can get tapeworms from eating earthworms. So really the best preventative is having that fecal done.

Welcome to chickens! I think we all started out thinking DE was some miracle substance. Then we learn from experience that it's not.

Best way to know is to have a vet do a fecal float to check for eggs. Another sure fire way is seeing the actual worms in their poop. At that point you've typically got a heavier load, though.

Good prevention would be having a fecal done once or twice a year. Some people just go ahead and worm them a couple times a year as well. Keeping their living area dry also helps. They can get tapeworms from eating earthworms. So really the best preventative is having that fecal done.
Thank you for sharing good info with me! I will apply it! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom