Addressing muddy run without roof

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Hello from Dallas! Our chicken run is currently covered with wooden framing with inset wire panels and when it rains like it does here, we are left with a muddy mess.

We’ve considered adding corrugated roofing to cover the run but I’m worried that will create a heat problem in our 100+ degree summer. I’m picturing a green house effect that roasts my chickens but I’m paranoid 😂. Does this have any effect on run temperature?

Outside of that, we would like to add wood chips to the dirt floor. What’s most available here is coarse pine or cedar mulch/chips or mixed hardwood that is unknown wood type but untreated. Are any of these safe to use? I’ve read conflicting info on wood type, specifically cedar.

Unless your run is really short or has little airflow, a roof will provide shade and keep your chickens cooler in the summer. Corrugated metal or tinted polycarbonate panels should work great.

Last edited:
Hello from Dallas! Our chicken run is currently covered with wooden framing with inset wire panels and when it rains like it does here, we are left with a muddy mess.

We’ve considered adding corrugated roofing to cover the run but I’m worried that will create a heat problem in our 100+ degree summer. I’m picturing a green house effect that roasts my chickens but I’m paranoid 😂. Does this have any effect on run temperature?

Outside of that, we would like to add wood chips to the dirt floor. What’s most available here is coarse pine or cedar mulch/chips or mixed hardwood that is unknown wood type but untreated. Are any of these safe to use? I’ve read conflicting info on wood type, specifically cedar.
I wouldn’t do metal, it does absorb a lot of heat and will reflect that into the run. Wood chips and straw are excellent for the mud. They will improve the soil structure and you’ll have less of a mess, but will still need to add to it on occasion.

I live in hot and humid NC. I have a shade cloth over my hoop coop run. It occasionally drips a little during heavy rain. The light color doesn't seem to soak in the heat.

IMG_20240322_120351145_HDR~2.jpg

I use mower clippings and straw instead of mulch or shavings. A bale of straw is less than $10 here.

Well, I take that back.
I’m in AZ and we get really hot too. There is corrugated roofing that’s fiberglass I think. You can get it in clear or white. That has lasted a long time for me and doesn’t get hot like metal.
Just thought of that, I have it on my coop roof.

Unless your run is really short or has little airflow, a roof will provide shade and keep your chickens cooler in the summer. Corrugated metal or tinted polycarbonate panels should work great.
It’s fairly tall and is open on all sides other than the chicken wire and framing. I’ll look into the panels because I do think a roof would help a lot!

Back
Top Bottom