Addressing muddy run without roof

My husband built a lovely big coop for our 5 hens which we call the "Taj Mahal" and most of the time it has been ideal despite being made of galvanised iron.
However, we discovered over this last summer which was uncharacteristically hot that it had maintained the daytime heat and the poor chooks suffered at night. We were so concerned we purchase a water cooler for the coop which I continuously filled with ice and water. That certainly helped as I ran it all day. When the heat was unbearable I put a sprinkler on the tin roof.
Reading your posts made me realise we should have used frosted plastic sheets. That material is called Alsanite sheeting in Australia.
I'm considering asking my husband to change the tin roof to Alsanite.
So helpful to learn from other's experiences.
Thank you Backyard chickens

The last time I was in Texas the sun was pretty intense. I'd say a roof is better than no roof metal or otherwise if you have plenty of ventilation. It's a run it shouldn't be a problem trapping heat, but maybe you can pick up a cheap solar fan if you're concerned about air flow. As for the floor I use straw, but not sure if you have access to that.

My husband built a lovely big coop for our 5 hens which we call the "Taj Mahal" and most of the time it has been ideal despite being made of galvanised iron.
However, we discovered over this last summer which was uncharacteristically hot that it had maintained the daytime heat and the poor chooks suffered at night. We were so concerned we purchase a water cooler for the coop which I continuously filled with ice and water. That certainly helped as I ran it all day. When the heat was unbearable I put a sprinkler on the tin roof.
Reading your posts made me realise we should have used frosted plastic sheets. That material is called Alsanite sheeting in Australia.
I'm considering asking my husband to change the tin roof to Alsanite.
So helpful to learn from other's experiences.
Thank you Backyard chickens
Putting a plywood "ceiling" up might help to dissipate the heat.

Back
Top Bottom