Adios Raccoon!

Well we got our trap at the local Coop and it cost 75 dollars. My husband found one on the internet for 10 dollars less but we couldn't wait for shipping. It was well worth the money considering how much money has been put into my birds. I'd say the raccoon/s is worth about 250 dollars by now including the trap. Also in reply to the post about keeping the chickens away, Mine dont seem interested but if one of the dogs gets curious they don't go in they just relsease it and I wait till night time to set it again. So far no more raccoons in the trap.

I got the 1089 havahart from home depot for $46.A little bent from some of the bigger coons trying to escape,but so far so good for holding them in.

If the trap is bent you can just beat them back to shape. All that matters is the door stop latches and locks the door in place when it shuts.

I have had issues with large coons turning the trap over and the latches release and they get out.
I just drive two stakes to keep it upright. That eliminates the problem.

Darin

I had no idea it was a raccoon until the last bird was taken. We thought we had taken care of the issue (husband is an avid killer of small game). None of the chickens that had gotten locked up had gotten eaten before. I have an outdoor chicken run with the chicken door in that space. i close the door to the outdoor chicken run so animals like dogs or coyotes can't get in. The ducks got taken when they were out, then when they were in their little space I thought it was a fox or owl. I didn't put the animals together beofre because they don't get along. It started in the summer with a couple then stopped so we thought the issue had gone away.

I would recommend keeping the trap set.I have not had a catch in weeks now.Eventually new predators will move in.Hopefully they will get the apples in the trap before going for my hens!

Back
Top Bottom