Adopt an egg broody hatch-a-long

Thanks. My broodys were doing so good going back to the same box. Then I swear I gave them eggs and they started going back to the wrong box. Well one normally goes back and someone else is in her box laying so she goes to another box. The other one is a bit of a mess right now, she had 2 chicks that just hatched so was "babysitting" the ones from the incubator while eggs that were hatching could hatch. She got off a couple times today and one ended up out of the nest, couldn't tell if it was still viable, then later went to a different box which is how one ended up broken (another hen went in to use the side to jump up on the roost so think she stepped on it).

But was questioning if some were still growing and think the one that was broken was one I wasn't sure about.
That same exact thing happened to me, with a hen sitting then she’d go to another box, so I’d move the eggs , then she’d go back to the other box, or someone else would lay in the box. I got so frustrated I just pulled the eggs and pitched them. The one egg that was viable, I put under what seems to be a committed broody.

The chickens are really trying to run the whole show anymore 😂

That same exact thing happened to me, with a hen sitting then she’d go to another box, so I’d move the eggs , then she’d go back to the other box, or someone else would lay in the box. I got so frustrated I just pulled the eggs and pitched them. The one egg that was viable, I put under what seems to be a committed broody.

The chickens are really trying to run the whole show anymore 😂
I just move the hen back to her eggs. Thankfully I have cameras in there and most times while I am at work if they happen to move off another hen is on them laying so keeping them warm at least. This happened last year and they hatched. But thinking when I get time to clean the incubator this weekend I will move some in there, but I should be getting eggs this week so they will be like 10 days behind those so need to figure out lockdown again

Back
Top Bottom