Adopted or rescue poultry

jonaeselaye

Songster
Nov 3, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone here ever adopted or rescued chickens or ducks? I would love to hear your story on how and why you adopted them :)

The first bird we adopted is a white drake. My friend and her mother use to live on a large hobby farm. Unfortunately they had to move out after her mother and step father separated and they took their hens and drake with them. They moved around a fair bit and each time they had to rehome a few of their animals. Last year they had to move again and needed to rehome the drake ASAP, back then his name was was "Duck". My boyfriend and I had just started getting into poultry pets and we had just bought three silkies. She asked me if I was interested in getting into ducks as well. I was hesitant as we would need to build him his own space away from our silkies and we didn't know much about duck keeping. Still, we felt sorry for "Duck" as it sounded like there was no one willing to take him in.

We offered to foster him for a few weeks until they found him a permanent home. A year later he is still here and we named him "Jeremy". He is an awkward, grumpy old duck but we love him and enjoy watching him enjoy bathtime.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_thumbnail1562477190995.jpg

A few months later, we started looking into adopting a friend for Jeremy. We asked around to see if anyone was giving away any older duck hens who were no longer laying. A local family gave us a brown duck who we named Beatrice. She was a pretty duck and it was awesome seeing Jeremy have some company. They gew really close but unfortunately after 8 weeks she disappeared. We are still unsure of what happened to her. Jeremy stopped eating and drinking for a couple of days. He would just find a quiet spot in his area and sit there all day. We got really concerned about him so we bought him the muscovy, Bellatrix, in the pic above.
Screenshot_20190414-143134.png

Our third adopted pet is Ruth. Ruth was surrendered by a surburban hoarder to a local chicken rescue, along with 61 other chickens and 4 ducks. The rescue treated her for various ailments including a heart murmur, respiratory illness and scaly leg mites. When she was finally ready for adoption, the rescue struggled finding her a home as she needed to be placed in a flock that had already been exposed. Since my boyfriend and I were the ones who alerted the rescue about the hoarder after purchasing ill chickens from him/her, our flock had already been exposed and treated for the respiratory illness (Infectious Bronchitis). The rescue reached out to us and asked if we could take her in.
We were all very worried that she would be bullied or left out by the rest of the flock. However turns out she has a super bold personality. When she arrived, all of my chickens just went along with it and didn't mind her eating their food. Instead, she charged and pecked at all of them (none of them retaliate). Now even our main rooster doesn't mess with her.
58443833_2439427212747913_2048464353811759104_n.jpg
maya and ruth.jpg

Has anyone here ever adopted or rescued chickens or ducks? I would love to hear your story on how and why you adopted them :)

The first bird we adopted is a white drake. My friend and her mother use to live on a large hobby farm. Unfortunately they had to move out after her mother and step father separated and they took their hens and drake with them. They moved around a fair bit and each time they had to rehome a few of their animals. Last year they had to move again and needed to rehome the drake ASAP, back then his name was was "Duck". My boyfriend and I had just started getting into poultry pets and we had just bought three silkies. She asked me if I was interested in getting into ducks as well. I was hesitant as we would need to build him his own space away from our silkies and we didn't know much about duck keeping. Still, we felt sorry for "Duck" as it sounded like there was no one willing to take him in.

We offered to foster him for a few weeks until they found him a permanent home. A year later he is still here and we named him "Jeremy". He is an awkward, grumpy old duck but we love him and enjoy watching him enjoy bathtime.
View attachment 1927016

A few months later, we started looking into adopting a friend for Jeremy. We asked around to see if anyone was giving away any older duck hens who were no longer laying. A local family gave us a brown duck who we named Beatrice. She was a pretty duck and it was awesome seeing Jeremy have some company. They gew really close but unfortunately after 8 weeks she disappeared. We are still unsure of what happened to her. Jeremy stopped eating and drinking for a couple of days. He would just find a quiet spot in his area and sit there all day. We got really concerned about him so we bought him the muscovy, Bellatrix, in the pic above.
View attachment 1927017

Our third adopted pet is Ruth. Ruth was surrendered by a surburban hoarder to a local chicken rescue, along with 61 other chickens and 4 ducks. The rescue treated her for various ailments including a heart murmur, respiratory illness and scaly leg mites. When she was finally ready for adoption, the rescue struggled finding her a home as she needed to be placed in a flock that had already been exposed. Since my boyfriend and I were the ones who alerted the rescue about the hoarder after purchasing ill chickens from him/her, our flock had already been exposed and treated for the respiratory illness (Infectious Bronchitis). The rescue reached out to us and asked if we could take her in.
We were all very worried that she would be bullied or left out by the rest of the flock. However turns out she has a super bold personality. When she arrived, all of my chickens just went along with it and didn't mind her eating their food. Instead, she charged and pecked at all of them (none of them retaliate). Now even our main rooster doesn't mess with her.
View attachment 1927019 View attachment 1927020
Hats off to you for reporting the hoarder and taking in the unwanted!

P_20190817_192757.jpg
Chester, who I found in a parking lot. He likes to follow me around and enjoys getting his crop scratched. He also flies onto my arm if I stick it out.
P_20190823_182033.jpg
Griffin, another rescue who gets along great with other roosters. His tail is usually a lot longer but he's currently molting.
P_20190823_181633.jpg
Horus, a handsome craigslist rescue.
P_20190709_115908_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Domino, a dominique that hates people but hates rain even more.
P_20190708_143956_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Lupin, who I rescued when he was a month old.
P_20190709_125855_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Belial, a rescued bielefelder.

All these roos are in rooster-only flocks. I ended up with a lot more roos than hens (4 hens and 9 roos) because I keep rescuing more.

We didn’t really ‘adopt’ but a rooster was dumped at a chicken hatchery and no one wanted him so we took him in and added him to our flock. He unfortunately got killed in March this year by a fox.
View attachment 1927022

He is so gorgeous!

View attachment 1927264Chester, who I found in a parking lot. He likes to follow me around and enjoys getting his crop scratched. He also flies onto my arm if I stick it out.
View attachment 1927269 Griffin, another rescue who gets along great with other roosters. His tail is usually a lot longer but he's currently molting.
View attachment 1927272 Horus, a handsome craigslist rescue.
View attachment 1927274 Domino, a dominique that hates people but hates rain even more.
View attachment 1927275 Lupin, who I rescued when he was a month old.
View attachment 1927278 Belial, a rescued bielefelder.

All these roos are in rooster-only flocks. I ended up with a lot more roos than hens (4 hens and 9 roos) because I keep rescuing more.

Such beautiful boys. It's quite unfortunate that so many roosters end up getting dumped.

Chicken hoarder... Why am I not surprised. That's why I get so sad when I see or hear about people taking on too many chickens or ducks than they can handle. Chicken math may be funny to some, but it literally gets the best of some people.

This hoarder was posing as a shelter and taking in a lot of unwanted poultry through classified ads. They would then resell the ill hens or cockerels as pullets. Many were kept in a small shed or cardboard box during the day.

I rescues 7 barred rock hens a year old. The owner said that they were spent. I took them out to the farm for retirement and eat the bugs. Well, they started laying. I was given two barred and one white rock. The owners got ducks and the girls just wern't cute anymore. Still laying out at the farm. I was then given the sister of the three because she was lonely. She was happy to be reunited. I was given two silkie pullets because one went broody and the neighbors complained that the other was noisy. Yep, they joined the flock out at the farm. And neither will go broody for me. The farm has 80 acres.....plenty of room.

I rescues 7 barred rock hens a year old. The owner said that they were spent. I took them out to the farm for retirement and eat the bugs. Well, they started laying. I was given two barred and one white rock. The owners got ducks and the girls just wern't cute anymore. Still laying out at the farm. I was then given the sister of the three because she was lonely. She was happy to be reunited. I was given two silkie pullets because one went broody and the neighbors complained that the other was noisy. Yep, they joined the flock out at the farm. And neither will go broody for me. The farm has 80 acres.....plenty of room.

That's so lovely that you have taken them in. They are very lucky :):love

Back
Top Bottom