ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Even though my coop is not quite finished, I have had my Ador1 installed in it for 1 week also for a "test run". It opens faithfully at dawn and closes faithfully at dusk. very pleased and happy with. I'm sure my chickens will be, too!

Thank you for posting this information. My Ador is on its way, yippee! I have a quick question...does my coop door hole need to be that large of an opening if I am mounting it on the exterior wall? There will be nothing blocking it on the outside, but I was wondering if I could leave my opening hole a bit smaller. We built a framed-in door hole (prior to learning about Ador) and it is a little narrower/shorter than your recommended size and I don't want to have to remove the framing and cut a bigger hole if not necessary.
The hole just needs to be no bigger than that, so sounds like you can just leave it the way it is. The hole especially can't be too wide but could be taller a bit as the metal would cover the top part of a tall opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine in! So far works great! Easy installment! I'm going away this weekend for 4 days, so I think I may just lock them in. Since the girls are still so young, and they have only been out in their coop for a week, I don't trust them enough to know that they need to be inside the coop. Although they do go in by themselves at night or on rainy days... not being here makes me nervous.
Should I disconnect the battery or put it on manual mode to keep the door shut?

I have a question that is probably pretty stupid. I plan on installing my ADOR 1 on a door that can be opened. It is the door that I need to keep so that I can go in and clean the coop. Right now, it is the door that the chickens use to go in and out, I open it in the morning and close it at night. After I install the ADOR, I will probably only have to open it once a week or so to clean. Will installing it on a door that moves occasionally affect the operation of the automatic door? I think it should be fine, but if it isn't, I can always put a wall up where I currently have wire cloth to install the ADOR. Any advise is appreciated.

I have a question that is probably pretty stupid. I plan on installing my ADOR 1 on a door that can be opened. It is the door that I need to keep so that I can go in and clean the coop. Right now, it is the door that the chickens use to go in and out, I open it in the morning and close it at night. After I install the ADOR, I will probably only have to open it once a week or so to clean. Will installing it on a door that moves occasionally affect the operation of the automatic door? I think it should be fine, but if it isn't, I can always put a wall up where I currently have wire cloth to install the ADOR. Any advise is appreciated.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the door is not banged around and wont obstruct the operation of the Ador when you are using the human door. I am no expert, Rod would have to answer this if there would be a problem, but I just installed my door today and I don't see anything about the door that would present an issue if it were mounted in a pop hole on a human door.

Got mine in! So far works great! Easy installment! I'm going away this weekend for 4 days, so I think I may just lock them in. Since the girls are still so young, and they have only been out in their coop for a week, I don't trust them enough to know that they need to be inside the coop. Although they do go in by themselves at night or on rainy days... not being here makes me nervous.
We just had the same dilemma here...our 8 five-week chicks, had only put themselves to bed for the first time the night before we were to leave for four days. My Ador was on its way at that time and I didn't have a sitter, so we took them with us! They traveled in a dog crate and slept there at night. During the day the hung out in a 6'x6' dog kennel with chicken wire around the bottom and plywood on top. It worked out okay but boy were they thrilled when we got back home last night and I let them loose in their 20'x16' run! They ran around making noise and ran in and out of the big coop like kids on Christmas Morning.

This morning I installed the Ador....Easy-peasy!!! It took me more time to remove the old pop door then it did to install the automatic door. I love it! I tested it out last night inside the house, works like a charm, opening at 5:34am when the sunshine came through my window this morning.

Look for a blog post coming soon!

Thank you! I installed it this morning. As it turned out my pop door was a little narrower but slightly taller than the Ador. The 1/4" narrower on each side was not a problem at all and the Ador covered up the fact that my opening was taller, so you can't even tell once the door was installed. By the way, Thank you for the super quick shipment (once you got the motors in), and the super-duper easy installation. My six year old granddaughter held the level for me once I put in the top center screw, so I was able to easily level the door and put the remaining 5 screws in place without issue. I have a quick video of the 'test' after installation and I will be blogging about the door very soon. http://BackyardChickenLady.blogspot.com hope you will stop by once it is posted.

I have one installed in the door to my shop. I slam the door sometimes and it goes "clang". Not recommended to bang it around of course but my advice is to not forget that you should operate the human door smoothly...no slamming. Slamming hasn't broken mine yet but I don't slam on purpose and not that hard. One of the more likely hazards of mounting ADOR tilted or where it vibrates or moves is that the battery terminals might electrically touch against the printed circuit board, causing a short circuit. That could kill the electronics. The insulation around the alligator clips makes that pretty unlikely but you could slip a 2.5" x 2.5" square of corrugated cardboard between the battery and the back of the electronic board. I think it is pretty low risk to mount ADOR on a human door that is only used for you to access infrequently the inside of the coop.
-ROD

I have one installed in the door to my shop. I slam the door sometimes and it goes "clang". Not recommended to bang it around of course but my advice is to not forget that you should operate the human door smoothly...no slamming. Slamming hasn't broken mine yet but I don't slam on purpose and not that hard. One of the more likely hazards of mounting ADOR tilted or where it vibrates or moves is that the battery terminals might electrically touch against the printed circuit board, causing a short circuit. That could kill the electronics. The insulation around the alligator clips makes that pretty unlikely but you could slip a 2.5" x 2.5" square of corrugated cardboard between the battery and the back of the electronic board. I think it is pretty low risk to mount ADOR on a human door that is only used for you to access infrequently the inside of the coop.
-ROD

I wonder if you shouldn't tape the battery in place to prevent it from sliding around if the door does vibrate or slam unintentionally. Duct tape would surely do the trick.

Last edited:

Rod explained how to do the manual mode a few pages back (just hold the button down until door is closed, basically)
We did that last week (still finishing coop) and the door is still closed. Will stay that way until we push the button to open it.

Back
Top Bottom