ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

First day with the Ador1. Current sunrise/sunset times for my location are 5:24am/8:54pm.

Last night, after putting the chicks in their coop for the first time, I stayed with them until after 9pm. Door was still open and it was dark outside. So I closed the door manually and went to bed. This morning it was around 6am when the door opened. I heard the neighbor's rooster a few minutes before door opened.

What time relative to sunrise/sunset does your door open/close?

I guess I'd like the door to open earlier and close earlier, but the sensitivity settings don't give that option. It's either open earlier/close later or open later/close earlier.

Last night my chicks were ready to go to bed around 8:40 I think. That's when they started cuddling in a 1'x1' area... all 24 of them.

You're right; there is a 'normal', 'open early/close late' and 'open later/close earlier' option. There is also a Delayed opening option, which still doesn't help you.

Since the days are so long this time of year, this may be the only relatively short period where this is an issue; door closes by 5-5:30 in winter in our area.

One option is to use a timer. You would have to adjust this yourself with the seasons. The web site mentions how to set this up using the external sensor (extra purchase, about $15).

Attach the external sensor to the Ador1 (instructions are clear) and run it into an opaque box (needs to be able to block light), that has a night light plugged into a timer set to the times you want. This would trigger the sensor, and open the door according to the timer. You would need an extension cord for the timer, I believe, so this may limit this option. (Not sure if there are battery operated timers).
Definitely check out the Ador1 web site and scroll through both the blog and the downloadable instruction manual at the base of the home page.
You can also email them, sometimes it takes 2 emails.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tonight it closed at 9:43pm. It wasn't completely dark yet. Chicks wanted to go to sleep around 8:40pm. They started huddling in a corner. They still don't know they're supposed to sleep in the coop. They were expecting me to take them inside the house to their brooder. Hopefully we'll get there soon.

I guess my main concerns are (1) roosters crowing in the morning if the door isn't open when they "wake up", and (2) owl attacks if the door is open when it's dark out. Although it would be a stretch to think an owl would go inside a coop through a small door, so maybe I'm being (very) paranoid.

Anyway, has anyone done a test to see the difference (in minutes) between normal setting and the delayed options? If no one has, then I might do it. Problem is, I'm ok staying out there until 9:30-10pm, but I probably won't be awake in the morning. Today I was awake cause I couldn't sleep and I just heard the door open. Unfortunately I didn't look at my watch :he. I'm guessing if tonight it closed at 9:43, tomorrow it will close 1-2 minutes earlier.

Anyway, has anyone done a test to see the difference (in minutes) between normal setting and the delayed options? If no one has, then I might do it. Problem is, I'm ok staying out there until 9:30-10pm, but I probably won't be awake in the morning. Today I was awake cause I couldn't sleep and I just heard the door open. Unfortunately I didn't look at my watch :he. I'm guessing if tonight it closed at 9:43, tomorrow it will close 1-2 minutes earlier.

It sounds like your first order of business is to train your chickens to go into the coop at night. And that can just take repetition on your part for 1-2 weeks until they get it. The other option is to lock them inside the coop for 3-4 days so it 'imprints' as their home.
Once they are inside, if the door closes later, as you say I doubt that's a huge issue, as long as it closes.
Since the door uses a light sensor, the 'normal', 'open early/close late' and 'open late/close early' options will vary, depending on your location and day length. Since my door faces inward (sensor sees less light) and is installed on my secure run, I added the external sensor, to make it open earlier/close later. So In my area (PNW), the door closes at deep dusk, between 9:30-9:45p this time of year. It was opening at 5:15 :hmmup until a few days ago, so I programmed the 'delayed opening' option.
As far as your two concerns, at this point, unless you use the external sensor with timer option, your door will close at medium to deep dusk (depending on the options you choose), but as long as everyone is trained to go inside, I think you'll be OK, unless you are overrun with predators.
If you want the door to open earlier (to avoid a crowing rooster, although my guess they'll crow anywhere at that times of day?), if your sensor gets morning light, the 'open early/close late' setting would probably work for you (if you don't want to set up the external sensor/timer to make it more exact).
I think you'll find that you'll tweak this process over time, especially as your chickens grow up.

It sounds like your first order of business is to train your chickens to go into the coop at night. And that can just take repetition on your part for 1-2 weeks until they get it. The other option is to lock them inside the coop for 3-4 days so it 'imprints' as their home.

Yes. Slowly getting there. They wait for me by the gate around 8:30-8:45. Thinking I will come get them and take them inside the house to the brooder. Past 3 nights they've slept outside. First 2 days they were confused, but today they settled nicely and I even had a few that came inside on their own. Once they were in all hell broke loose cause they were fighting for position.

So In my area (PNW), the door closes at deep dusk, between 9:30-9:45p this time of year. It was opening at 5:15 :hmmup until a few days ago, so I programmed the 'delayed opening' option.

Why the face? 5:15 too early? I live a few hours south of you and my neighbor's rooster starts crowing around 5-5:15 past few days. He's a good 400ft from me and I can still hear it. I think my wife won't be happy if/when my roosters (yes, plural) start crowing at 5am. Coop is 30ft from our bedroom window :oops:

As far as your two concerns, at this point, unless you use the external sensor with timer option, your door will close at medium to deep dusk (depending on the options you choose), but as long as everyone is trained to go inside, I think you'll be OK, unless you are overrun with predators.

Not really overrun. My only concern at this point are owls. My neighbor says he sees them. I haven't seen nor heard them but I'll take his word. And it seems far fetched that an owl would go into a coop via the pop door and face 40 chickens and a few roosters. Although if he does I'll have some nice footage for youtube.

If you want the door to open earlier (to avoid a crowing rooster, although my guess they'll crow anywhere at that times of day?), if your sensor gets morning light, the 'open early/close late' setting would probably work for you (if you don't want to set up the external sensor/timer to make it more exact).
I think you'll find that you'll tweak this process over time, especially as your chickens grow up.

I'll test it tomorrow with the open early setting and see how much earlier/later it opens/closes.

Pretty upset with this door. It worked fine the first few days. Now it won't open/close automatically no matter what I do.

I unplug the battery, hit the button momentarily to open/close a few times, then leave it where it's supposed to be according to time of day (usually open and during daylight). 3 days of this same strategy, and door won't close at night or open in the morning.

On the bright side, it may have saved the life of one of my chickens because I could still hear the owl at 5am right outside my window which is next to the coop/run.

I may have gotten a bad model I guess. I'll call the owner tomorrow and ask for a replacement.

Pretty upset with this door. It worked fine the first few days. Now it won't open/close automatically no matter what I do.

I unplug the battery, hit the button momentarily to open/close a few times, then leave it where it's supposed to be according to time of day (usually open and during daylight). 3 days of this same strategy, and door won't close at night or open in the morning.

On the bright side, it may have saved the life of one of my chickens because I could still hear the owl at 5am right outside my window which is next to the coop/run.

I may have gotten a bad model I guess. I'll call the owner tomorrow and ask for a replacement.

Any update? I've got to replace my current homemade door and I was considering this model. Reliability is pretty important to me, especially given the high cost of automatic doors.

Called owner and we went through some tests to determine if the problem was the motor. It wasn't. Faulty board. He sent me a replacement but I still haven't received it, although I didn't check the mail yesterday.

Board arrived Friday. Installed today and everything seems to be working fine. Door closed around 9:15pm. I will let you know if it opens tomorrow morning but I'm pretty sure it will.

Faulty board: $hit happens. Owner was great. Always answers phone. Door is very easy to install, doesn't look bad, very convenient. I recommend this door and company.

@dcwatson84

Back
Top Bottom