Advanced case of VENT GLEET

Visamaxed

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I need help please.
I'm at my wits end.
A vet is not an option in my areas.

Scarlett has vent gleet. I'm positive it's vent gleet. She has had it for about a year. I couldn't catch her to treat her until recently. I have tried everything that I can think of and everything that my online chicken Facebook friends recommended. Even so far as to call and talk to Cackle Hatchery.

She acts fine except for the massive amounts of putrid discharge from her vent and she seems tired and she lays rotten smelling eggs. The eggs look perfectly normal inside and out. Her abdominal is pink but not hard and its not swollen or squishy.

She is a 2 year old mix like a easter egger.

She gets all flock pellets at 19 percent protein. Very rarely does she get treats like meal worms or cracked corn.

I separated her from the wild chickens that free ranged and never got caught to go into flock pens. She was in a pen with three others that showed symptoms of gleet. One has recovered and the other two are in a separate pen by them selves now to wait and see if they have healed.

She has been wormed and deloused months ago.

No signs of respiratory infection or illness of any kind except for the vent gleet.

I have tried

1) Nothing but unsweetened plain Greek yogurt for 1 day. Feed normally the second day. Nothing buy unsweetened plain Greek yogurt for a 2nd day. This made her feathers shiny.

2) Metronidazole 250mg tablet for 5 days mixed with mana probiotic gel. She perked up.

3)1 cup of Apple cider with the mother per gallon of water almost everyday. She drinks a lot of water.

4)Epson salt baths (3 times) Did nothing but traumatize her. Switched to daily showers instead.

5)Monistat for 7 days.

6)Iodine spray on her vent.

7) Baby diaper rash cream (its clear) on the pink side of her boom boom and abdominal.

8)Acidified Copper Sulfate in her drinking water for a week. I treated every bird I owned with it.

I don't know what else to do. Does any one have any suggestions or extreme methods of treatments? I'm about to buy the cat drops of Itraconazole and start giving her 10mg of that.

I will open mindedly listen to all ideas and suggestions.

Last edited:
I will open mindedly listen to all ideas and suggestions.
Sorry you face this.. and her. :(

Consider maybe it isn't vent gleet.. but a more serious reproductive infection.. salpingitis (lash egg) comes to mind since you say she lays rotten eggs. A yeast infection should not cause rotten eggs.

Other possibility.. maybe ascites (water belly).. if her abdomen is squishy (you say not hard but is it swollen)??

I see you've done tons of supplements and fixes.. Do you have a rooster that might spread vent gleet from one hen to another? How did you administer the Monistat? Also, please tell what is her regular feed including treats? How old is she and what breed?

If you need to treat a bird you can't catch in the future.. they are easiest done after dark using a flashlight and keeping it dim. Chickens generally stay put since they cannot see well in the dark. Just remove from roost, treat, return to roost.

:fl

You have wild chickens? Where are you located?

Sorry you face this.. and her. :(

Consider maybe it isn't vent gleet.. but a more serious reproductive infection.. salpingitis (lash egg) comes to mind since you say she lays rotten eggs. A yeast infection should not cause rotten eggs.

Other possibility.. maybe ascites (water belly).. if her abdomen is squishy (you say not hard but is it swollen)??

I see you've done tons of supplements and fixes.. Do you have a rooster that might spread vent gleet from one hen to another? How did you administer the Monistat? Also, please tell what is her regular feed including treats? How old is she and what breed?

If you need to treat a bird you can't catch in the future.. they are easiest done after dark using a flashlight and keeping it dim. Chickens generally stay put since they cannot see well in the dark. Just remove from roost, treat, return to roost.

:fl

You have wild chickens? Where are you located?

Hello,

Her belly is not squishy or swollen like water belly.
I took the monistat one cream and smeared it around and slightly her vent.

She gets all purpose flock pellets every day at 19 percent protein. Very rarely does she get a treat like meal worms or cracked corn. Maybe twice a month.

She is a 2 year old mix like a easter egger.

When i say wild chickens i mean a portion of my chickens got out and run wild. I struggled to catch them because they hid or left our property. They always came back. They have all now been caught.

Thank you

Visamaxed, did you ever figure out how to treat Scarlett? I've been going through the same thing for the last 6 months and have tried all of the same options that you have, except for the acidified copper sulfate.

Visamaxed, did you ever figure out how to treat Scarlett? I've been going through the same thing for the last 6 months and have tried all of the same options that you have, except for the acidified copper sulfate.
I have been going through the same thing for the last month. It is hell. I am also at my wits end and unsure of what to do next. I have even wondered if it's worth euthanasia because I am scared of my other hens becoming infected.

I have been going through the same thing for the last month. It is hell. I am also at my wits end and unsure of what to do next. I have even wondered if it's worth euthanasia because I am scared of my other hens becoming infected.
Any help would be very welcome. Thank you.
It will be difficult to help 2 different people on another person's thread, but it's been done before.
If you wish, start your own threads and provide a link in this thread. If not, then please post photos, tell us about symptoms, what you have used for treatment, age of birds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom