Advice about pullet collecting eggs in rollaway nest box

Shevraeth

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
Kansas City Metro
My Coop
My Coop
I don't really know how to word the post subject other than that, but here's the basics:
  • I'm using a Hengear rollaway nest box
  • I have a pullet, my head girl, who I think likes to try and collect eggs while she sits and gets ready to lay her own.
  • She is sticking her head through the rollaway curtain and gently trying to scoop eggs up the ramp to sit on. Picture below is from last week
    • Problem is, today she accidentally poked a small hole in a couple of eggs trying to reach them.
  • When she lays her egg, she hops out of the box and continues her day like normal, so I don't think she's broody or trying to eat the eggs...:hmm
  • Some of the new layers have plopped eggs in random places and she's left those alone, so again, I don't think she's trying to eat the eggs?
  • They're fed Nutrena All Flock (20% protein) and have free choice oyster shell on the side
Any ideas on how to deter her? Just deal with an occasional pecked egg? I figured the curtain would be enough since it's enough for the 9 other birds, but she's my smartest and most analytical one and, well, there's her head lol. Here we are :idunno

Egg Box_live_1674848679305.jpg

I'm not familiar with Hengear's roll away nests. I can't tell from the photos I found how they are put together. The first thing I'd do is send Hengear that photo and see what they say. It is their product.

Is there any way to tilt that collection area some more so the eggs roll back out of her reach?

It is not that unusual for hens to pull eggs under them when they are laying an egg. To me that behavior is not that unusual. It does not mean they are broody at all.

The nest box and egg area are on a ramp about 17* incline. I'm honestly surprised she's able to pull any up and under her at all. I'll try and prop something under the back end to raise it a smidge more and will reach out to Hengear to see if they have ideas.

Thanks for the info about normal collecting behavior!

I don't really know how to word the post subject other than that, but here's the basics:
  • I'm using a Hengear rollaway nest box
  • I have a pullet, my head girl, who I think likes to try and collect eggs while she sits and gets ready to lay her own.
  • She is sticking her head through the rollaway curtain and gently trying to scoop eggs up the ramp to sit on. Picture below is from last week
    • Problem is, today she accidentally poked a small hole in a couple of eggs trying to reach them.
  • When she lays her egg, she hops out of the box and continues her day like normal, so I don't think she's broody or trying to eat the eggs...:hmm
  • Some of the new layers have plopped eggs in random places and she's left those alone, so again, I don't think she's trying to eat the eggs?
  • They're fed Nutrena All Flock (20% protein) and have free choice oyster shell on the side
Any ideas on how to deter her? Just deal with an occasional pecked egg? I figured the curtain would be enough since it's enough for the 9 other birds, but she's my smartest and most analytical one and, well, there's her head lol. Here we are :idunno

View attachment 3393721
Did you ever figure out how to get her to quit?

This is hilarious! ROTFL this morning, and now I really am wondering how this turned out!

Mine will collect eggs under them while laying and put shavings from the nest box on their backs while preparing to lay their daily egg. I know some folks have used velcro on fake eggs in the roll-away nest boxes to encourage laying in them - that gives at least one egg that won't roll away.

Did you ever figure out how to get her to quit?

This is hilarious! ROTFL this morning, and now I really am wondering how this turned out!

Mine will collect eggs under them while laying and put shavings from the nest box on their backs while preparing to lay their daily egg. I know some folks have used velcro on fake eggs in the roll-away nest boxes to encourage laying in them - that gives at least one egg that won't roll away.
I too have a chick trying to get eggs under her from my rollaway. I'm going to give the Velcro idea a try. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom