Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

I forgot that you live in Hawaii, it's only 3:30 there!

-Kathy
:D Yup, though now it's more like 6. Anyway, I grabbed the 60cc syringe at TSC and took in the fecal sample to the vet. She said that there is no sign of any worms, that the poop looks completely normal. It had a tiny amount of that bacteria that starts with a c that I'm not sure about, but she thought that that is normal, that chickens carry it internally. I am not familiar with it and I didn't realise until I got home that they hadn't written it out on the test result, it just says "minimal" as the gram stain result. The float test was negative. Not that I need them now but while I was at TSC, I had a look in the farm animal section and lo and behold, they had bimectin, safeguard paste, pellets, AND goat liquid, the gold zimecterin, a million types of ivermectin and some other things that I can't recall. They had just about everything except the valbazen and they may even have that but I just didn't have time to ask someone. Sigh. Oh well, at least now I know what I'm looking for if I ever need those in the future.

I just gave Princess 45cc of sugar water and that was enough that her crop feels tight so I didn't want to over do it. I've put her back in her crate with clean water and some fresh pellets (I weighed both just to see how much if any goes down) and she went right to sleep. I'm a little concerned because there was a patch of rain while I was out and hubby didn't realise that I'd been moving her baby run to keep her with access to sun and she got rained on. I hope that doesn't cause any other issues. Sigh. Also, when I was giving her the last two batches of sugar water, I noticed a bunch of bugs. Not the tiny grey bird lice the minah birds bring around but the bigger round butt-ed ones, bird mites I think. They are at least a mm, maybe two across and I can easily feel them crawling on me. It has been so wet for the last month+ that we haven't been able to dust at all. Hubby's already on notice that that is his #1 task for tomorrow, even if it rains at least dust the coop. Ugh I hate those things. Make me itchy just looking at their pictures!

Good morning, I'm about to get Princess up. Should I give her more sugar water now and then baby food in an hour or give her the baby food now? And what recipe should I use for the baby food? Thanks again for all the help!

P.S. hub calls the bugs "feather mites". That pdf was a good read.

Last edited:
Good morning, I'm about to get Princess up. Should I give her more sugar water now and then baby food in an hour or give her the baby food now? And what recipe should I use for the baby food? Thanks again for all the help!

P.S. hub calls the bugs "feather mites". That pdf was a good read.
What does her poop look like this morning and is her crop empty?

-Kathy

What does her poop look like this morning and is her crop empty?

-Kathy
Her crop is empty. She can't stand at the moment, I found her tipped over on her right kicking her leg trying to stand up. in the photo, she had normal looking poop in the crate but a lot of water too. The wet patch in the right red ring is where she was lying. but the damp spot is on the left as well. Once I set her on the ground it took her a moment with me holding her up to get herself settled so she's upright, but she seems to be tipping to the right a bit still. i took a photo of that too.

Probably okay to give her Kaytee mixed at about 1 part food to 2-3 parts water. Food given should be warmed to about 100 degrees. Not being able to stand can be a problem... might be a good idea to place her in a box with towels and make her a nest so she'll stay upright. You should also keep her in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal.

-Kathy

We gave her 30cc of 1:3 kaytee:water. She was able to stand on her own afterward and took an interest in what I was doing with the towel. I've set up the baby run under the eaves half in half out of the sun, that'll be the warmest place, all rooms are still in the mid-70s at the moment. I made her a towel nest and put her in it. I have water right beside her.

In an hour or so check her crop and give her more food? Or sugar water?

P.S. hubby was wondering if we should dust her to help with the mites.

Last edited:
We gave her 30cc of 1:3 kaytee:water. She was able to stand on her own afterward and took an interest in what I was doing with the towel. I've set up the baby run under the eaves half in half out of the sun, that'll be the warmest place, all rooms are still in the mid-70s at the moment. I made her a towel nest and put her in it. I have water right beside her.

In an hour or so check her crop and give her more food? Or sugar water?

P.S. hubby was wondering if we should dust her to help with the mites.
Repeat as soon as her crop clears a little. I would dust her, but wait until her crop clears a little or she might vomit.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom