Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

@casportpony
Hi Kathy, quick question about tubing water. If her crop is full but nicely squishy, should I be trying to tube more water or just let her be? I've tubed water twice this morning, but every time I check her crop is still full but not hard/firm/tight, it feels squishy/mushy. I am concerned about trying to tube more water since it's already full, and both times I tubed her this morning she threw up a little bit of water afterwards. The first tubing, it occurred when I was transferring her back into her baby run. On the second tubing, she threw up a little when I transferred her and also a little more during the 15 minutes while I was upstairs cleaning up the kitchen. The regurge looked clear, no blood or other material in it. I can post a photo of the third one if that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Miranda

At this point I would remove all food and concentrate on getting water into her. Nicely squishy is good, so keep giving the water as long as you think she's not going to vomit.

-Kathy

Ok thanks. I've taken away the small tray of pellet mash. Does tubing 10cc of water every 45-60 minutes seem reasonable? Should I add a spot of sugar as well or no need at this point?

ok, that's what I just did, 10cc 100F water. No throwing up this time, and I made sure that I wasn't "assisting" that by the way I was holding her to transfer :)

I also snuck in another dusting by dusting the towel I wrap around her. Darn thing was a bit buggy. It feels like I'm getting better at the tubing too, used to be scared to death of doing it and I'd hold while hubby tubed, but he's sick right now so I've been doing most of them on my own. As long as it's the 25cc syringe and not the 60cc one, I can handle it on my own. yay for the small wins. Sigh, I am worried about tomorrow though. Hub will be on his own as I have to fly off-island for a doctor visit and will be gone from 6AM until 7PM :(

ok, that's what I just did, 10cc 100F water. No throwing up this time, and I made sure that I wasn't "assisting" that by the way I was holding her to transfer :)

I also snuck in another dusting by dusting the towel I wrap around her. Darn thing was a bit buggy. It feels like I'm getting better at the tubing too, used to be scared to death of doing it and I'd hold while hubby tubed, but he's sick right now so I've been doing most of them on my own. As long as it's the 25cc syringe and not the 60cc one, I can handle it on my own. yay for the small wins. Sigh, I am worried about tomorrow though. Hub will be on his own as I have to fly off-island for a doctor visit and will be gone from 6AM until 7PM :(
Do your best to train him and get as much fluid into her before you leave.

-Kathy

Well, he used to raise pigeons eons ago so he's familiar with tubing and such, but with him being under the weather. Ugh. Everything always has to happen at the same time. Darn you, Murphy!

Back
Top Bottom