Advice for weak underweight 5 y/o chicken possibly with worms

1515PM got 15cc of h2o into her this time. She also made a normal poop on the towel and was walking around a little on top of the washing machine, which let me finally get a quick look at her rear end. I don't see any lesions or anything but pink skin and poopy feathers. the vent looks clear, and the poopy feathers are all lower.

@casportpony
1645, got 20cc into her, and her crop is definitely going down now. Can I get away with feeding her a mashed egg now or should I only keep on with another 2 batches of water before I put her to bed?

1800, got another 20cc into her.

Edit: 1930, got a final 15cc for the day into her crop. She'd put herself to bed, walked from 2 ft away from the dog crate and tucked herself into the back of it. Yay! I felt bad waking her up but better for her I guess.

Last edited:
ok i'm back from oahu (yay surgery was success!). Hubby did a good job of taking care of Mom and of Princess. Here is his status report for the day:

- 0800AM weight 1.913kg/4lb3-3/8oz
- crate poop looks like normal poop
- checked crop, mostly empty (YAY) and squishy
- gave one mashed egg and water.
- 1030AM-ish egg gone, crop felt 1/2 full and squisy, gave pellet mash (half-half kaytee/pellets and warm water)
- 1100AM-ish crop a bit firm so tubed between 10cc and 15cc of warm water ("1 1/4 inches of tube")
- 1400PM checked crop and gave more pellet mash
- 1500PM-ish tubed another 10cc or 15cc of warm water ("1 1/4 inches of tube")
- 1800PM-ish tubed 15cc of 100F water, gave a mashed egg

- 1830PM her poop from today

- 1900PM she put herself to bed at the back of the crate again :D

I think I shall follow her example. I've been up since 4:30AM this morning to catch my flight and only slept 3 hours last night. So I'm wiped and a zombie :D but I'm hopeful that tomorrow's weight will be better and that wednesday's will too. Seem to be getting a handle on how to feed and what to watch for, when to do water and when solids, so I am starting to be much more optimistic. The fact that she can walk a bit on her own and is putting herself to bed two days in a row is also cause for hope. Thanks so much for all your help Kathy!

@casportpony , @enola : Thank you both, especially you Kathy, for all your wonderful help. Sadly, I found Princess dead in her crate when I went to weigh and feed her a few minutes ago. Hubby said he had a bad feeling last night. I'm trying not to beat myself up too much, we tried but I suspect it was a bit too late when we caught on to the problem.

It is a sunny day today so I suppose we can redust Blackie and Lacy (and weight them) and hopefully at least get the darn bugs under control, so we don't get eaten alive again if we need to treat Blackie, who felt also a bit underweight to me when I checked them last week. I love our menagerie to bits but times like these sometimes I hate having animals. It hurts too much. But, to love is to feel pain, no matter the species, and to feel no pain is a sad life to have lived.

Thank you again for all your help and patience.
- Miranda

Back
Top Bottom