Advice needed on duck house/run

IveGoneQuacky

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015

Hi all,

First post here, probably of many as I have poultry fever. :) I have two dog houses that I have converted in duck houses for my three khaki campbells and four welsh harlequins. We have them in a 20x20 dog kennel run/
i know i need to bury some chicken wire along the bottom so predators dont dig in I am thinking 24in chicken wire with 1in mesh or would pavers be easier since the ground isnt level? but what can i put across the top to avoid predators climbing over? When it was a smaller pen I had some garden mesh over the top but I am not sure that it will work with this set up. What do other ducky owners with dog kennel runs use for overhead protection?
Also does anyone do electric fencing with the ducks? could I use that as an alternative to a roof?

Last edited:
I have seen a pigeon keeper ( one I purchased from ) with a large run stretch chain link fence over top. Dog runs are usually strong enough to support such weight. Other option is to get a swimming pool leaf guard and use it on top. You may need to support the middle as it may sag quite a bit.

WISHING YOU BEST AND
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, I will have to check out the pool cover idea. My only concern is we get quite a bit of snow during the winter so I might have to build some sort of roof structure to support the weight. Not sure if the pool cover can hold the weight.

You can make a roof from light weight fiberglass corrugated panels over half , and netting on the remainder. Panels come in 2 X 12 foot sections. The panels will support a good quantity of snow. They do need supporting structure. The netting will allow the snow to fall thru.

Back
Top Bottom